All food cause diarrhea - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

All food cause diarrhea

My pup has just turned 1 and he seems to be extremely overweight at more or less 25kg.

I got him at 3 months old and Ive been struggling since then to find the right food to feed him. To this point I've already tried the following food:

1. Acana large breed puppy
2. RC maxi junior
3. Acana free run duck
4. Acana yorkshire pork
5. Acana grass fed lamb
6. Beef pro (local brand)
7. BARF diet
8. Orijen large breed puppy

You might ask why the several brands given in a span of less than a year. The reason was that he had severe diarrhea with Food 1, 2, 5 7 and 8. I know I shouldn't change his diet often but was forced to do it after noticing that his stool was not improving despite the lapse of several weeks after every change of diet. The transition was slow but still... he had diarrhea every time.

Food 3, 4 and 6 gave him solid stools for only a specific food measurement. Add a little more for him to gain weight, you'd see a very watery stool next. With these food, it was hard to help him get to his ideal weight.

Fecalysis turned out fine. Worms, giardia, etc. Were ruled out.

Transition from 1 food to another was properly made as well.

He's drinking the same water we drink.

Currently, he's been on acana lamb for 3 days and never had a solid stool.

Now at a loss as to what to give him next if this doesnt work out.

What are yout thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

I have had bad luck with Orijen and Acana. They may simply be too rich for a lot of dogs. My current dog tolerated the food but had loose stools, which is odd for her, her coat looked horrible and I was over feeding to maintain weight. But over feeding many kibbles will cause loose stools. My dog has done fantastic on her current kibble but I was forewarned NOT to feed more then the recommended amount.
I don't like any of the RC foods and won't feed them unless I have a good reason.
You need to look at the current research with regards to grain free and DCM. I won't advise but you should at least have the knowledge.
Some dogs need lower protein, some need lower fat, some do best on a specific protein. Pork can be problematic for many dogs.
I am confused though, you say first that your dog is overweight and then that you are over feeding to have him gain weight?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Did you mean to say extremely overweight or underweight at the beginning of your post? 25kg = 55lbs I think.

My dog gained weight nicely with solid stools once I moved to raw. Currently about 93lbs at 18mo. Now that he is a bit older I find I can do about 2/3 raw and 1/3 kibble overall per day and he tolerates it fine. My plan is to move to about 1/2 and 1/2 over the next 6 months when he turns 2.

Probably not very helpful as all dog tummies are unique. There are some really knowledgeable and helpful people who I am sure will chime in!

What does your vet say? What does your breeder say?

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 PM

My last shepherd had the same problem.This is what worked for him:It's a powdered digestive supplement Prozyme that can be mixed in a bit of liquid or canned food and added to his kibble.It's available at Chewy.com,Amazon,etc.

http://https://express.google.com/u/...4aAkcIEALw_wcB
crittersitter likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Old 01-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Elite Member

I'd try cooked food, something like Fresh Pet or JustFoodForDogs. In the meantime, calm his tummy with overcooked white rice and boiled chicken.
Sabis mom likes this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

All dogs are different but you may want to try Ziwi Peak. Not cheap, but nice results.

It is like little squares of Jerky.

I always add a little water to the bowl of Ziwi for our dogs.

Most of their products contain ONE protein, which would by my choice for your dog.

I would try the Beef and do not feed any other foods or treats. This food can be used for training treats too.
https://www.ziwipets.com/ziwi-peak-d...ried-beef-dogs

ZiwiPeak Cuisine
(condensed info)
"ZiwiPeak pet food is a complete, natural balanced real-meat diet prepared with care in New Zealand.
All of our natural ingredients are sourced from the green, free range farms and blue, pristine oceans of New Zealand. The twin stage process eliminates pathogenic bacteria, such as e.coli, salmonella and listeria, while protecting the natural nutrition of our ingredients. As a further safety step, our products are mandatory tested and only released for sale after approval by the New Zealand government's regulatory authorities.
Air-drying is a technique that has been used for centuries to naturally preserve meats. Our modern method stays true to this artisan approach, while eliminating the need for artificial preservatives, salts, sugars or glycerines. Our slow, gentle, twin-stage air-drying process crafts a food that is as nutrient-dense and digestible as a completely raw diet but safe, clean to handle and can store for up to 21 months."

Your dog would benefit from a digestive enzyme and probiotic. This is a Human Grade product made for dogs: https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/...ll-plustm.html
"Different enzymes break down different foods. When enzyme stores are low, it is harder for the digestive system to break down fats, protein, and carbohydrates. Poor digestion can cause pets to suffer from constipation, diarrhea, flatulence and more. Wholistic Digest-All Plus™ is a unique enzyme blend of pure, freeze-dried, plant and plant-based enzymes with added maximum concentrations of prebiotics and probiotics. Formulated for maximum digestive support!"

Moms
Old 01-24-2019, 12:24 AM
Crowned Member

Some dogs get the runs when over fed. If your dog is overweight, you're overfeeding, and that may be all that's going on. This statement of yours also suggests that over-feeding may be your problem: "Food 3, 4 and 6 gave him solid stools for only a specific food measurement."

I also agree about Orijen/Acana being too rich for some dogs -- some dogs really do better WITH grain.

You cannot conclude anything about food allergies from this frequent switching that you're doing. It takes a 6-week run of feeding a food with a single protein (and no cheating with treats) to be able to identify food allergies.

Where are you located? It might help us think through options in your area (e.g., Farmina in Europe, etc.).
Old 01-24-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Oh I'm so sorry. I posted this as soon as I woke up and found out my pup was still having loose stool. I meant he's UNDERweight.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Master Member

You say he does well on certain foods until you try feeding enough to gain weight....you say he's under weight based on what ??--have you seen some of his litter mates and know for a fact that they weigh more at the same age?---some people have preconceived ideas on how "big" their GSD should be based on the size/weight of some one else's dog (not related to theirs)...just sayin'----if u can post up a couple pics from the side and one standing over him shooting down on his back--could be he's not as under weight as you think.

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 01-24-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:18 AM

What color are the stools? Might be EPI.
lhczth and crittersitter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in