All food cause diarrhea - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

So ive been giving my dog Edgar 90g of Acana 3x a day or a total of 270g which caused firm stools. This morning, I tried to increase it to 95g which again gave him soft stools (a little watery even). At lunch, i cut back his food to 90g which again brought back that solid stool.

with this amount of food he takes, i dont think I would be able to bring him back to his desirable weight. Or did I just overdo it when I added 5g every feeding or 15g a day? To me, that 5g is hardly noticeable such that I didnt think it would cause him upset stomach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 AM

Maybe try 4 meals a day spread out. This is what we do when trying to get skinny horses to gain weight. It usually

works well and doesn't overwhelm their digestive system.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beibitoi View Post
So ive been giving my dog Edgar 90g of Acana 3x a day or a total of 270g which caused firm stools. This morning, I tried to increase it to 95g which again gave him soft stools (a little watery even). At lunch, i cut back his food to 90g which again brought back that solid stool.

with this amount of food he takes, i dont think I would be able to bring him back to his desirable weight. Or did I just overdo it when I added 5g every feeding or 15g a day? To me, that 5g is hardly noticeable such that I didnt think it would cause him upset stomach.
So at this point it seems clear that the volume of food is the cause. You could try adding a smaller amount, you could try 4 meals instead of 3 or you can try adding other things.

I am hoping someone else will chime in here, but my suspicion is that the Acana is simply a bit rich for his tummy. It may work well to maintain but trying to put weight on with it is going to be tough. See if he will tolerate an egg a day, either raw or cooked, try some plain yogurt (not the fat free kind), apparently goats milk works well with some dogs. The yogurt and the goats milk may aid in settling his tummy while adding some needed calories. I am hesitant to recommend raw meat as it seems he struggles with it but I like @Magwart's suggestion of the revised satin balls.
I have fed sick fosters runny oatmeal, sometimes with honey, to perk up appetite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 AM

I still think since you just wormed him you should try the regimen to add digestive enzymes back to his stomach.

1) Get a good canine PROBIOTIC like the one I posted earlier. Give for 4 days.

2) Get some Honest Kitchen Herbal Digestive Supplement- has various herbs including Slippery Elm- helps support stool
consistency and bowel health.

Sounds like you're getting there but anytime you worm, you've also killed off good bacteria in stomach. His digestion
may be compromised thereafter, Until the "good bacteria" re-populates his digestive system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page