All food cause diarrhea - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:47 AM

OK after worming, it's always a good idea to give a probiotic to help the stomach get back the good bacteria that

may have been killed off by the wormer medicine. Here's what I use: for 4 days-

https://www.chewy.com/probios-probio...-cat/dp/111150

I will link the herbal digest supplement in my next post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:51 AM

Honest Kitchen herbal digestive supplement (has slippery elm in it for loose stools) give for 4 days and check stools.

https://www.chewy.com/honest-kitchen...rbal/dp/179377
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Just brought my dog outside for his morning potty and, lo and behold, a firm stool came out, no water! The last part was a little soft though but far from being watery.

So, there must be 2 reasons:
1. Worms; or
2. Overfeeding

Now, the fact remains that he's stil extremely underweight. I'm afraid that adding more food might cause his diarrhea to recur if the reason was no. 2. At the same time he might lose more weight with the current feeding amount considering that from 360g per day, I reduced it to just 235g per day which is the recommended amount based on what's stated on the bag.

What would be your advice on how I should go about this? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

So if I did the math right you are feeding a 25kg dog 3 cups of food a day instead of the recommended 2 cups?

That's a lot of extra food and could absolutely cause diarrhea. In my experience people often look for big problems when the issue is simple over feeding. So I always rule that out first. I would cut his food back and allow his stool to firm up for a few days and then SLOWLY increase the amount of food offered. And always make sure he has access to fresh clean water, because diarrhea dehydrates them and that will take weight off him as well very quickly.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi Sabis mom, yes, that's quite accurate. I was actually of the impression that if you're feeding all-stages food to a puppy, you should give 1.5x the recommended amount or more if you're trying to get him gain weight.

Should I start at the recommended amount and continuously add until I again get a soft stool (which must be an indication I am already feeding too much)?

Really dont have an idea what to do now. Had several dogs of different breeds before and this is the first time I encountered this problem.

My dog just had solid stool this
evening and I dont want to ruin it by feeding too much just for him to gain weight. But still, he needs to gain weight.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:17 AM

I would guess he DID need to be wormed. Good start. If he needs to gain weight an easy way to add extra food

is to add an extra meal. Try feeding 3 or 4 smaller meals rather than more food all at once. If you're feeding a

high quality feed, you should start to seed an improvement in body condition in a week or two. Keep watching

the stools until they're consistently 'normal' and firmer.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi Heidi. Thanks! Will do that. Or should I instead supplement with other food? I'm thinking about cooked satin balls. Tried giving him raw satin balls before and it gave him diarrhea. Not sure if it would make any difference now that he's been newly dewormed.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beibitoi View Post
Hi Sabis mom, yes, that's quite accurate. I was actually of the impression that if you're feeding all-stages food to a puppy, you should give 1.5x the recommended amount or more if you're trying to get him gain weight.

Should I start at the recommended amount and continuously add until I again get a soft stool (which must be an indication I am already feeding too much)?

Really dont have an idea what to do now. Had several dogs of different breeds before and this is the first time I encountered this problem.

My dog just had solid stool this
evening and I dont want to ruin it by feeding too much just for him to gain weight. But still, he needs to gain weight.
Give a few days to allow things to settle. Acana is a very rich food that can easily cause tummy upset and GSD's are notorious for sensitive stomachs. Once you start increasing do so slowly, like 1/4 cup a day. If the stools soften then you are adding too fast. Alternately you can break his meals up, feed more frequently. Not sure how often he is fed, but 3 meals or even 4 may help if possible. I have one that is very bad at eating and maintaining weight and I often feed her again 3 hours or so after her dinner if she has been skipping meals and seems hungry. Basically I feed her dinner, wait at least 1.5 to 2 hours to let her digest her food a bit, take her out to relieve herself and then feed her 1/2 a cup more.

Something else no one has mentioned is how long he is waiting before he can go to the bathroom. Sometimes making them hold it can contribute to soft stools as well.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beibitoi View Post
I'm thinking about cooked satin balls.

Most of the recipes for satin balls online say to add A LOT of oil. The amount of oil in these recipes will not only give your dog diarrhea, but it's enough to give some dogs pancreatitis. IMHO, those recipes are honestly not written for this tender-tummied breed!

If you make satin balls, keep them simple: ground beef, some eggs, and oats should be the foundation. Wheat germ and gelatin are optional. Bake them covered, and then pour off the fat that comes out of the meat and throw it away. I've fed these "simplified" satin balls to foster dogs needing to gain weight over the years, and they handle them very well.
Sabis mom and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

Another way to "add a small meal" is to stuff a Kong toy with kibble, seal it with some canned food, and let the dog enjoy it inside its crate mid-day.
das1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page