All food cause diarrhea - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Here are some photos I took this morning. I'm, pretty sure he's underweight. Thanks for the help. Will get back to you as soon as I get some free time. Trying to multitask. Searching for my dog's cure while at work..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1883.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	517445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1936.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	763.8 KB
ID:	517447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1938.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	517449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1977.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	517451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1980.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	517453  

Name:	DSC_1982.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	674.7 KB
ID:	517455  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

yes he is underweight. however, overfeeding is not the answer.

If this was my dog I would feed him the recommended amount of a kibble he did well on broken into smaller meals more frequently and supplement with fresh foods as tolerated. Cottage cheese, raw eggs, fresh meat and yogurt have all worked well for me. You can increase the kibble, but slowly. In very small amounts with increases only every few days and only as long as his stools hold.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 AM

I feel for you! Are his poops yellow? I just went through a sad experience with a dog I was going to adopt. He was a black GSD.
The dog I was going to adopt was diagnosed with EPI. Judah was only 9 months old and only weighed 34 pounds this morning when she was euthanized at the vet's office with her foster family holding her. We had prayed it was only neglect on the former owners part (hate to say that) but she was too far gone and the vet feared organ failure as she stopped eating yesterday.

The former owners thought is was her food and changed it several times. Long sad story but it didn't end well. Not to scare you but mine check this website to see if she has some more of the signs. They used to think it was only in GSDs since it seemed this breed got it the most.

https://epi4dogs.com/

This is a pic of Judah - I noticed the similarities with your dog as almost all ribs can be counted. A simple blood test that takes 7-10 day to get back will rule it out.

Last edited by das1; 01-25-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 AM

Judah:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5485.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	517483  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Talking

This is going to be long so please bear with me

Hi @JaxsMom, I was actually wanting to switch him to raw but it seems he wouldnít tolerate it regardless of the meat I used. My breeder had him on RC which I changed gradually after noticing negative reviews about it. Itís quite unfortunate I couldnít rely on my vetís advice. Long story that made me lose my trust on them.

@dogma13, canít open the link. Not sure what that powder is. As of now though, Iím trying my luck with a little Diatomaceous earth which some have claimed to be what cured their dogsí long bouts of diarrhea.

@AUSland, this by far is something I havenít tried yet on my GSD (except the white rice and boiled chicken Ė which didnít help when he first had diarrhea). Tried cooked beef with rice for my beagle before and it worked great on him. Donít know why I never thought of doing this again for my GSD. might give this a try.

@Momto2GSDs, unfortunately that is not available here in the Philippines. Among the best dog food we have here are orijen, acana, Canidae, and totw. We really have few choices here.

Hi @Magwart, the reason for the frequent change was actually that he had consistent loose stools for at least 2 weeks before I decided to switch to another food. Was just worried the situation might get worst if I continued feeding him that particular food. Iím located in the Philippines by the way.

Hi @das1, the color is actually normal without any sign of blood or worms. The color is the same as that of a ďhealthyĒ poop. It was never yellowish nor grayish. No poop eating as well. Nonetheless, Iíll have him checked for EPI. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Meanwhile, After checking the ingredients of the food heís had diarrhea, I was thinking that it was the chicken that caused the loose stool. Note that only the Acana Pork, Acana Duck, and the Beefpro gave him solid stools, none of which contains chicken. As to the Acana lamb I am feeding now, I noticed earlier today that his stool has started to firm up but still a little far from the desirable solid stool.

Maybe if I stick with the recommended feeding quantity of 235g per day instead of the 360g Iíve been feeding, I would start seeing firm stools which I have been waiting for almost a year.

(235g vs. 360g - have I been feeding too much?)

Iím thinking of what to give him as a supplement to aid him gain weight though. Any ideas? I already tried everything from pork, beef, and chicken (raw), but all just gave him loose stools. I have yet to know if itís going to make any difference if theyíre cooked. What do you think?

If youíd allow me, I can post a picture of his stool here. Please let me know if this is ok with you.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

Since you do not have a lot of choices on kibble, I would stay with the ONE Protein Acana. Make sure that he does not get any other treats that may have ingredients bothering his gut.

I don't know what is available to you in the Philippines but the following suggestions could help firm up the stool:

Pumpkin: Canned (WITHOUT any spices) or fresh cooked:

iHerb delivers internationally:

Ground Physilum Seed: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-W...oz-454-g/37841

Slippery Elm Bark (Given an hour before each feeding): https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-S...0-Capsules/796

Digestive Enzymes: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-S...Capsules/51072

Moms
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 PM

When was the last time this dog was wormed? I know you said vet did a fecal. Sometimes fecals aren't always accurate.

What was used for worming? Was he wormed for tapes?

All it takes is a flea or two on the dog, he eats the flea (to itch) and he could be re-infected with tapeworms again.

I would re-worm for all type worms including tapes, then give probiotics for several days then a homeopathic like

something with slippery elm for a stomach soother for several more days.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanks for updating us. Sorry, didn't want to sound like the sky is falling but I am considering adopting another younger dog- an 11 month old GSD that looks thin. Owner swears she's a good weight at almost 60 pounds. 2.5 hour drive to pick up so I hope she is telling the truth.

After the last heartbreak with Judah - I'm skittish.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 PM

Giardia doesn't always show up on the test. It depends on what cycle it's in. I recommend Kochi Free https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And Panacur.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used both with my puppy with diarrhea and it really helped.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan Heidi View Post
When was the last time this dog was wormed? I know you said vet did a fecal. Sometimes fecals aren't always accurate.

What was used for worming? Was he wormed for tapes?

All it takes is a flea or two on the dog, he eats the flea (to itch) and he could be re-infected with tapeworms again.

I would re-worm for all type worms including tapes, then give probiotics for several days then a homeopathic like

something with slippery elm for a stomach soother for several more days.
Hi Heidi. He's been wormed over a month ago. The dewormer I used says it's an "all wormer." Brand is wormrid by Animal Science which is commonly used here in the Philippines. I dewormed him again After seeing your post and consulting my vet. I don't know but I would prefer worms to be the cause of his diarrhea rather than food allergy. Never heard of this slippery elm but I might give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Giardia doesn't always show up on the test. It depends on what cycle it's in. I recommend Kochi Free https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And Panacur.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used both with my puppy with diarrhea and it really helped.
Hi crittersitter. Will check that out. Hopefully I can find it here in the Philippines. He's been tested negative for Giardia before but had been metronidazole just to be sure. Still, his on/off diarrhea persisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by das1 View Post
Thanks for updating us. Sorry, didn't want to sound like the sky is falling but I am considering adopting another younger dog- an 11 month old GSD that looks thin. Owner swears she's a good weight at almost 60 pounds. 2.5 hour drive to pick up so I hope she is telling the truth.

After the last heartbreak with Judah - I'm skittish.
Thank you for telling me about that EPI. Praying that a simple deworming would resolve all this. Let us know once you already have her. Would love to see how you'll make her gain weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page