Diet causing diarrhea - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Diet causing diarrhea

Hello!

I have a 13 week old pup who was fed on puppy pedigree by the breeder. When we picked him up at 9 weeks we slowly switched his diet onto much better food which we researched and thought to be the best out there (photo of ingredients attached). He started having very sloppy poos for around 2 weeks (some would be solid but then end with sloppy), we got medicine from the vets but it didn't seem to do much. We decided to try him back on supermarket brand food which had a more similar composition to the pedigree and his poos have (mostly) since hardened up again. Does anyone have any ideas about what ingredients of the food could be causing the sloppy poos? I am aware that GSDs can have particularly sensitive stomachs but I thought we had avoided all of the major allergens. Its very frustrating as we want to feed him the good food we have as it is obviously a much better diet. Thankyou!

I'm not sure if the photo attached, if not these are the ingredients:

Chicken, Turkey and salmon 60% - including 20% freshly prepared chicken, 14% dried chicken, 7% freshly prepared turkey, 7% freshly prepared salmon, 7% dried turkey, 3% dried salmon and 2% chicken stock.
* 19% Sweet potato
*potato, linseed, bett pulp, omega 3 supplement, minerals, vitamins, dried carrot, peas, vegetable stock, glucosamine (170mg/kg), methylsulfonylmethane (170mg/kg), chondroitin sulphate (125mg/kg), nucleotides, FOS (92mg/kg), MOS (23mg/kg).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:00 PM

Hi Kate, I am new here as well. I have a 4 year old rescue German Shepard/Collie Mix. When we got him 2 years ago the poor guy was only 40 pounds now up to 80 pounds and somewhat healthy. Once a month he does get diarrhea. We took him to the vet and no more human food from us has helped. His diet consists of 2 cups of dry food mixed with cooked ground beef. Was hoping for other diet options that work for other shepherd owners. I know they have sensitive stomachs so really good use some advice to make sure we maintain the health of our dog. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page