Propper weight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cassidy's Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

So Gigi is 12 weeks and 3 days old and growing like a weed. I believe she was 13 pounds when we picked her up at eight weeks. At the vet last Thursday she clocked in at 25! I'm going with slightly less than the recommended kibble amounts on the bags. She came from the breeder on Royal canin and we are transitioning to fromm. already starting to think that we will eventually transition to prepared raw food.

Anyway, while standing in the living room with her getting ready to go out I looked down and saw her from above and thought "hey that looks like the diagrams I've seen illustrating whether or not your puppy is too thin or too fat". So I snapped this photo wondering what you all would think. Lol. Too chubs? Her loin looks more full now than it did a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if I should slow down or of this is pretty normal. I know she will do all of her growing in 12 months and she's headed toward something like 70 to 80 lb if her mother is any indicator... But I don't want to go too fast if it's going to be bad for her joints. Open to any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_124701_1545691098906.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	515979  

Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:46 AM

She looks fine I wouldn't worry too much, she appears to have a defined waist that seems 'ideal'. Also worth keeping a note on how she feels, you shouldn't be able to see her ribs protruding, but you should be able to easily feel her ribs under her fur.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:11 PM

I picked my girl up on the 3rd of this month and @ 8 weeks she was 18 pounds. She was too heavy for me so I started to cut back and @ 10 weeks she went to the vet and weighed 22 pounds.

She is one solid girl though so I am not expecting a little girl...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Master Member

She looks fine. At her age, unless a dog was extremely malnourished or obese, there's no 'proper weight.' They grow at different rates.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 12:01 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

10 to 12 pounds a month at her age is pretty typical, I think. In that photo, she looks perfect - there is a clearly defined waist, which is exactly what you want to see. You'll start seeing her growth slow a bit over the next few months.

In the year between 6 months and 18 months old Halo only put on 8 or 9 pounds total, so the bulk of her growth was prior to that. Cava is just under a year old, her last weigh in was at 11 months old on 12/7. She had only put on about 4-1/2 pounds in the prior 3 months. Dena was Keefer's half sister and she was several pounds more at 6 months old than he was at the same age, but as adults he ended up outweighing her by about 8 pounds. She grew faster earlier, he took a little longer to catch up.

As long as Gigi maintains a nice tuck at the abdomen, a discernible waist when viewed from above, and you can feel her ribs (but they are not overly prominent) when you run a hand down her side, she's at an appropriate weight for her age and size.
Ozymandiasmv likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Gigi looks great. Very well proportioned (from my amateur viewpoint :-) )

Her sister, Sadie Grayce, is pictured below (today, she is at 14 weeks). She's getting the recommended amount of calories from her main food, and some treat rewards here and there (but not overboard). And she is getting plenty of exercise (age appropriate).

Today is weigh-in day. Last week she was 30 1/2 pounds, gaining an average of 2 pounds a week since we brought her into our home 6 weeks ago. She seems "sturdy", but we can still feel her ribs as we run our hands along her.

One thing I've learned from this great Forum avenue thus far is that no two puppies will be exactly alike. There will be similarities. Even with sisters things can be different. And some things that work for training some pups will not be what works for another. With one exception. O.K, two. Patience and love will work with all pups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	516449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page