Picky Puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

So I am trying to supplement raw into Penny's diet. I cannot afford to fully go raw right now, so she gets kibble one meal a day and raw the other two. Usually she gulps her food down, kibble or raw.
I split my days with premade and DIY. When I first started this, I bought Instinct Raw. She liked this but I wanted a food that had bone in it, and with Instinct the only kind that had that was chicken. And I'm trying to get her to try other proteins. So, I decided to go with NW Naturals, beef for right now. First couple of times she LOVED it. But this morning, she wants nothing to do with it. I top her morning meals on M/W/F with egg and kefir, and just made some bone broth over the weekend that I put on it as well. Still nothing. I even heated it thinking it was cause it was cold... Nope.
I did just realize I had been giving her 16oz (daily feeding is 32oz), when I should have been giving her 10oz since she eats three times a day. Could that have something to do with it? Although I don't give this to her everyday. She gets NW Naturals three times a week and then DIY twice a week. But this weekend she did get it on Saturday.
Is this her way of saying she no longer wants or needs three meals a day??? Or is it related to me giving too much on Saturday?

Thanks all 🙂

Last edited by Sarah Libby; 12-24-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:44 AM

I don't see her age to answer if she might be fine for just 2 meals a day.

Yes she may have just been full but then again I doubt it.

You really just need to give it ALL another day or two and you should have more answers.

Not wanting to give your dog another protein doesn't really make sense to me because a variety is a good thing as long as you have no allergies..

Serving bone is easy .... You can offer wings necks even feet for a snack.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
I don't see her age to answer if she might be fine for just 2 meals a day.

Yes she may have just been full but then again I doubt it.

You really just need to give it ALL another day or two and you should have more answers.

Not wanting to give your dog another protein doesn't really make sense to me because a variety is a good thing as long as you have no allergies..

Serving bone is easy .... You can offer wings necks even feet for a snack.
Penny is 5 months old. Apologies. And not wanting to give chicken comes from the fact that she has been eating that consistently since beginning partial raw (over a month ago). I have taken her to the vet, and the vet stated her biting and scratching could be food related (chicken at that time was the common denominator). She tested for other things environmental, and didn't come up with anything. I thought I put that in my original post (sorry, kids and Christmas has got me all distracted).
Being as how its hard to source certain proteins in my area, I have to supplement with premade to ensure she gets certain things, and variety. And being how I am avoiding chicken right now, she needed bone (and this premade has it ground up in their food so I thought it would be a good option to try), and to give her on days I don't do DIY.
I just wanted to make sure she gets her nutrients and wasn't sure if a puppy skipping meals would be detrimental. She only has ever missed this one meal (so I could just be overreacting). Wanted to hear from others about this. That's all 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page