Very Picky Puppy! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Very Picky Puppy!

Hello Everyone!

Id like to tell you about my dog Leo. He is 11 months old but is extremely picky.

When we got Leo he was on Loyal Life all stages kibble from the breeder and was eating fine but then we switched him to Taste of the wild puppy formula because i could find it easier and not much was different with respect to appetite. He was still eating fine.

At his first puppy checkup at the vet they noted that he had Giardia and we tried to treat him for it but we never concluded if he was cured because halfway through treatment Leo also began to limp on and off for a few months and it was determined that he had an extreme case of panosteitis (so bad that the vet asked if she could share the x-rays to other patients to show what an extreme case was) and during this time we stopped the giardia meds because he wasn't eating anyways due to the pain and also loss of appetite due to giardia.

Leo's Pano has died down since but he still has giardia and the vet says that sometimes these dogs never get rid of it but we should try again in a few weeks. I just need tips to get my dog to eat aside from trying to get rid of giardia (because that may not even be the issue) any advice helps!

I have already tried switching to wet food and even buying powder to crumble over the food. After a week he gets over it.

Im desperate here!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Mei
Master Member

My girl is picky as well, but we think we have it under control now and she eats just fine.

I also feed her TOTW puppy food, but change between the orange and white bag as they run out. She will not eat the kibble alone.

For both feedings, i feed at ~0700 and again at ~1730, and put liquid in the kibble. Warm water or chicken/beef broth. For breakfast i'll also add about 1/4 of some canned wet food (4health). For her dinner i'll also add 1/4 of some canned wet food and a raw egg. For dinners I have also added diced up apples, diced up carrots, ground beef/pork, pieces of bacon or bacon fat. I don't give her one of those added options too often. Its kind of a special occassion lol.

I like feeding her this way. She sits patiently and watches me make her meals lol. I think she appreciates the time put into her meals instead of pouring kibble into a bowl lol.

Hope some of this helps.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 PM

So sorry to hear about Leo's problems. My prior dog had pano problems and I know how frustrating it can be. My current puppy has just completed meds for Giardia, Roundworms and Tapeworms. A stool specimen I had our vet test determined the problems. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and submit a specimen for retesting.

For Giardia, she had a med/once a day for 20 days. My trick was to wrap the pill up in skin from rotisserie chicken. One of the worm meds was in powder form. I wanted the worms gone, so I mixed the powder with a can of cat food. I know it' not a good idea to give a dog cat food. I figured that not getting rid of the worms was worse than 5 lunches of canned cat food. Can cat food can be a lot more tasty than many dog foods.

Other than the situation with the powder, I generally don't like to put a pill in with a bowl of food. More often than not, I find the pill on the floor somewhere, after I though my dog consumed the pill with the bowl of food.

One option might be to try a pill plunger. Giardia can pass from dog to humans (and other animals), so probably best to try again to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your input and I will be trying to get rid of it again and hopefully helps with his picky eating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page