Switching puppy food to adult food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Malibu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Switching puppy food to adult food

Hey everyone,

Let me start by saying that, yes, my question might be very common and a lot of people have answered it... but there are a lot of conflicting information online (searches and forums).

“When should I transition puppy food to adult food?”

My female German Shepherd/Husky is 5 months old, and currently weighs about 35lbs. She looks thin, but she is being fed 3,5/4 cups a day of puppy food (Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy). I feel like she should weigh more... but again there is no real rule about all of this.

A pet store owner (neighborhood pet store, not PetSmart or whatever) recommended I stop feeding her Fromm Gold LGB at 6 months old, and instead feed her Fromm Gold adult - to reduce risks of hip dysplasia.

What should I do? On the one hand I’m thinking “oh sure, let’s do this... who wants their dog to have hip dysplesia!?”. On the other hand I’m thinking “she does look a bit thin... she could use a longer puppy food diet to gain some weigh”.

Anyone can help me? I would appreciate greatly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:48 PM

I am no expert but from what I have learned is that most puppy food is not worth feeding and it's best to just feed adult/all stage kibble. With that being said you are actually feeding one of the rare quality puppy foods available. I would personally switch around 9 months but thats just me.

As far as your puppy not weighing enough boils down to this.... It is what it is as long as your puppy looks good. Search for diagram of what all gsd's should look like as it grows . I always wanted to be over 6" tall but it didn't happen....So keep your puppy light and let it grow slow. good luck
Atreu likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Master Member

I've been to 3 vets and 2 of them recommended switching at 1 year, the other at 2. I switched at 1, not because I was switching to adult food intentionally, I just chose a different brand. If I had stayed with the large breed puppy formula with the same brand, probably gonna feed it to my dog till he's 2. Anyways, I used to stress over it too because my pup was really skinny and small (45lb male at 6 months). But now I'm feeding regular adult food (not large breed) and he's a healthy 88lb. Just choose the food she likes best and fits your budget well. She'll be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

Some breeders never feed puppy food. So it's a personal choice. Just make sure the food states "For All Life Stages"

Choose a product that contains correct Calcium to Phosphorus ratios which is around 1:1 to 1:5. Ash should not be higher than 7-8%.

Here is a site to help you score your dogs weight = BCS = Body Condition Scores https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...ndition-scores
A little thinner is better than fatter for the health of your dog.

Here is a chart:
Name:  Weight Chart.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  120.7 KB

If your dog is doing well on Fromms, I would stay with it and rotate between the flavors.

Moms
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

So I looked on Fromm’s website - they recommend continuing feeding Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy until 17months or so, because it is specifically made to prevent accelerated growth (that would happen with other puppy food or adult food). This actually is also what I read on some other websites.

I guess I’m gonna stick to Fromm Gold LGB for a little longer. This prevention from “accelerated growth” might be the reason why I feel like my puppy is not growing fast enough. All good then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page