Feeding my 2 months and 7 day old gsd puppy, puppy kibble and adult wet food! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Feeding my 2 months and 7 day old gsd puppy, puppy kibble and adult wet food!

Hello all,

I have a question on if I’m ruining my puppies diet... He’s very energetic and smart and super cute and has a perfect amount of weight on him just by picking him up. I got him recently, I’d say about 2 or 3 weeks ago and hasn’t got shots or a check up yet, but I did schedule those asap! But he warmed up to me fast! I can’t leave his side or he’s super sad☹️. But thank god I’m with him 99% of the time! I started him on some Purina puppy kibble when i first got him because i heard it was good and he only nibbled at it so i assumed this isn’t his type of meal! I asked the breeder what he ate before i got the pup and he said Blue Buffalo Chicken and brown rice recipe for puppies. I ordered some of that and yes he did eat it, but he didn’t eat it as a full meal he’d eat a very small portion and I was worried this wasnt for him aswell... I decided Im going to try out mixing his dry kibble with some wet food. I went to the store for some groceries and remebered I should try out some wet food. They only had regular Pedigree wet food in the can, and I didnt think it would hurt to feed him that. So I got 2 cans to test it out and he seemed to like it alot he licks his bowl clean! But since it is regular dog wet food not specificly for puppies, I dont know if this is unhealthy or dangerous for him!? I need some help guys? Is this okay for my male gsd 2months and 7 day year old pup to eat as his regular diet?!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 AM
Crowned Member

It is clear that you love this little pup.

You are trying to provide good food , an important part of health.

Just as important is the dog's emotional health .

You said " I canít leave his side or heís super sad☹️.
But thank god Iím with him 99% of the time! "

You got the dog at a very young age . He is 2 months and 7 days - well that
is 9 weeks , You said , with uncertainty that you have had the pup for 2 or 3 weeks .

That means that he was 6 to 7 weeks and that is young . His current age wuld have
been a better age to send off to his new home.

In order to be an emotionally healthy animal he has to learn to be with you and to also
be comfortable being alone .
You can bet if he were still at his birth-home with his dam - she wouldn't want , she wouldn't
allow him to hang with her 99% of the time.

Don't encourage over dependence .

Choose your food . Others are more able to advice you on kibble - Purina , and other Mars corp
products ???? not so much.

Find that good food, then provide him with a quiet area where he can eat in peace.
Don't get suckered into catering or hand feeding him.

food down . Eat . or pick up and give later .
Malibu likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:51 AM

I've mixed food for my dogs since they were pups but don't over do it or you pup could become a picky eater. Who wants to eat the same old dry kibble every day when you can have chicken bits or that scoop of yogurt or a dab of peanut butter! A good quality kibble ( you can research over at dogfoodadvisor.com and other places ) fed 3 times a day is a good start. If your pup doesn't eat after 15 minutes put the meal away and offer it for the next meal. If you want to feed raw, there are other folks here who can help you with that. If you want to add a little canned food on top of the kibble go for it. I use the 4health brand from Tractor Supply. Not even a half of a can! Just a couple of spoonfuls mixed in. If your pup doesn't eat that store it in the fridge for the next meal so it doesn't spoil and dry out.

and let your pup be sad. You may want to start crate games so you pup learns that if he has to be locked in a crate for awhile he'll be OK. Even if you don't need to crate your pup at home regularly he may have to at the vet someday. Better he knows how to be by himself and crated for a bit then have a dog with separation issues.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Master Member

I like the website "dog food advisor" to look up kibble / canned food quality..
They give a pretty thorough breakdown and list the recalls, etc., and they will give the food a number of stars (depending on its nutritional quality/use of fillers etc. )

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 AM

If you would have done ANY research on kibble you would NEVER have selected purina.

It seems like everything about this puppy is not planned at all. First of all your so called breeder doesn't even deserve such a title. no shots and gave puppy to soon and no kibble to take with you..

Your puppy needs to be dewormed I would guess.

Research or read a quick read about raising a GSD and do it yesterday...If you don't I fear you will be asking for help again but it won't be such an easy fix..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page