RC GSD Puppy vs RC Large Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

RC GSD Puppy vs RC Large Puppy

As my pre-puppy research continues i happened on this: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-...ed-puppy-food/

I like this breakdown and found it very helpful in trying to learn the basics about puppy nutritional needs, particularly with regard to protein and calcium and rapid growth in large-breed pups.

If you look at their list of recommended AAFCO-compliant dry foods for large-breed puppies (which meet AAFCO standards for both GROWTH and GROWTH in Large-Breed puppies), They do not list Royal Canin GSD Puppy (what my breeder is currently feeding the pup we're getting) but DO list Royal Canin LARGE BREED Puppy.

indeed, the packages AAFCO statements do indicate that the Large Breed version is compliant, but the GSD puppy formula does NOT list that important distinction about Growth in large breed pups.

So I'm thinking of switching to RC Large Breed Puppy instead of the GSD pup formula.

Thoughts? Should we scrap the RC altogether (See my other post about how its a tried and true brand). Anyone have experience to share?

Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Update: A little more reading in this forum and elsewhere has me convinced that Fromm's may be a better choice. Still AAFCO-compliant for growth in large-breed dogs, and then ingredient list alone is soooooo much better that RC (which STARTS with corn)

Still interested in all of your thoughts....

S
GSDHAUS likes this.

Oz
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 PM

My Golden was fed RC Large Breed as a puppy. But he grew tired of it and I switched to Biofresh, which is a really great brand and also super premium. However I think it's only available in my country.

I have nothing bad to say about Royal Canin though. Keep in mind you are his owner so it's up to you what he eats. If you like RC that's okay. If you want to give him homemade food, that's awesome! Just please think twice about the grain-free foods. Also, you have to be careful when switching the food as to not upset your puppy's stomach.

If you're worried about growth, keep in mind a lot of things can influence it, including genetics, lifestyle, etc.
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 PM

Personally don't like a dog food with Wheat gluten and corn gluten, though I'm sure there are a ton of RC Puppy food fans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GRCH Kuba Práce vom Haus Morrisson CGCA TKA BCAT SPOT TC BH IPO1
UCD GRCH Heska vom Haus Morrisson TC CGCA CGCU TKA NW2 BN CD IT BH
UKC CH N'Vee Me vom Haus Morrisson CGCA TKI SPOT TC
VP, UKC CH Czara vom Duttenhof CGCA TKN SPOT
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 PM

I was going to suggest you take a look at Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold.. seems you already found that!
czgsd and Ozymandiasmv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDHAUS View Post
I was going to suggest you take a look at Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold.. seems you already found that!
i did! its listed in the Dog Food Advisor website and the ingredients list is impressive. Probably really expensive tho.

Oz
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:16 PM

You can find it anywhere from 57.00 to 68.00 a bag for 33lbs. The protein in this food is nearly 30% (29.30), and the ingredients are decent for a growing puppy.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 PM

It sounds like you are asking all the right questions. i know i certainly appreciated Dog Food Adviser myself back in the day when i first discovered it.
This is where i insert my obligatory 2 cents and say, try raw They have complete ready to feed pre-made patties you can buy which i love. If you want some ideas of brands feel free to IM me.
Raw isnt better in my opinion because it is raw, but rather because it has far less carbohydrate than kibble, which needs some source of carbs (corn grains potatoes peas or legumes) to hold the little kibble bits together. also kibble is not just "baked" in a big oven like you would imagine, it is actually heated to extraordinary high temperatures multiple times in an extruder (not great for preserving any nutritional value).

Like i said that is just my 2 cents Whichever food you choose, your pup is gonna be awesome.
ps if you use kibble soak it in homemade bone broth or water and add as much fresh human food (ie real meat, eggs, cheese, veggies, berries, sardines and other small fish) as you can
GSDHAUS and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

Fromm LBP is your pup tolerates it, mine didn't so I fed RC Maxi puppy not the GSD puppy per my breeder for 6 months.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandiasmv View Post
i did! its listed in the Dog Food Advisor website and the ingredients list is impressive. Probably really expensive tho.
Actually not bad, and Pet Food Express carries it. Cava was on it from 4-1/2 months old when we got her until about a week ago (she's 10 months old). Now she's on an all life stages Annamaet formula that's suitable for large breed puppies. I buy it at Chewy.com: Annamaet Petfoods

I'm a little freaked out by the whole DCM thing and I wanted something that didn't have any suspect ingredients when I moved her to an adult food. Fromm Gold (the grain inclusive) LBP does have potatoes and sweet potatoes. But I don't think there has been an issue with the puppy formulas, which are only used short term.

Farmina also seems good, but there's been a run on it and it was out of stock everywhere online including the company's own website and isn't in stock locally that I know of. It may be available now, but I don't want to be on the edge of running out of dog food and not being able to find it anywhere.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page