home cooked diet for a 8 week puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Pune, IN
Posts: 23
home cooked diet for a 8 week puppy

My apologies if this has been asked before- I did try searching but couldn't find appropriate results
After having lost my heart dog GSD to cancer at the very young age of 3.5 yrs, I finally gathered the courage to add another one to the family after a year has passed by.

The only possible carcinogen he had been exposed to was Royal Canin (which he used to devour like there is no tomorrow) or it could be a genetic predisposition

Having said that, the whole episode was so heart-wrenching that I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy
With the new puppy coming into the fold in the next few days, I am wondering what food options should I choose

1) Royal Canin maxi starter mixed with water and tiny bit of cow milk

2) Only home cooked food

3) A mix of the two above

If it's only home cooked food (which is what I have shifted my other dog to), I understand that I would need to changethr proportions
Currently I cook a mix of approx 1 kg boneless breast combined with some potatoes, carrots, other veggies and 500gms of rice topped with a few tbsp of veg oil for the other dog (medium sized mongrel)

If I had to cook a separate meal for the puppy, what would be the proportion you would recommend
Also, what would be the approx weight in wet food that I should give to the lil fella who is headed to his forever home on Sunday?

PS: I live in India where the only dog food brands readily available are Royal Canin, Hill's science and Arden Grange (and pedigree which I am discounting) - if you do recommend kibble instead of home cooked, which one would it be?
superczar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 05:12 PM
Elite Member
 
ausdland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,222
Your home cooked dog diet is missing vital nutrients. I would suggest a complete and balanced kibble over what you are feeding your dog. Many dogs do well on Royal Canin. There are much better options in the USA.

I just spoke with an veterinarian oncologist today about a small cancer tumor my 3 year old female had removed a couple weeks ago and asked why as I've always fed my dog 'complete and balanced' food, raw for the past 1.5 years. The answer was it is likely genetic. Having said that my dog ate Royal Canin Maxi puppy the first 6 months of her life and wasn't spayed until the tumor was removed. My dog is thriving on home cooked food with the correct supplementation.
Heidigsd, RoseW and Mudypoz like this.
ausdland is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 28
I am not a fan of kibble. Home cooked or raw needs to be balanced and nutritionally complete. Puppies in particular have very strict nutritional requirements that need to be met DAILY and there is zero room for error. Personally i am a fan of a commercial raw because you do not have to have a PhD in nutrition to feed it. There are several companies out there that i have been consistently impressed with. Dr. B's Longevity, Steves Real Food, Answers Pet food (if you can find a distributor) to name a few.
Custom Billet likes this.
gsdoglife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 44
I do both high quality kibble and home cooked for mine and she does great on it. If the highest quality you can buy is Royal Canin, then do that. Good luck!
superczar likes this.
stevreb07 is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Pune, IN
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevreb07 View Post
I do both high quality kibble and home cooked for mine and she does great on it. If the highest quality you can buy is Royal Canin, then do that. Good luck!
Thanks!
Any tips on what you include on the home cooked meals?
superczar is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:53 AM
Elite Member
 
ausdland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdoglife View Post
I am not a fan of kibble. Home cooked or raw needs to be balanced and nutritionally complete. Puppies in particular have very strict nutritional requirements that need to be met DAILY and there is zero room for error. Personally i am a fan of a commercial raw because you do not have to have a PhD in nutrition to feed it. There are several companies out there that i have been consistently impressed with. Dr. B's Longevity, Steves Real Food, Answers Pet food (if you can find a distributor) to name a few.
The OP lives in India.

You sure about Steve's Real Food? I heard about unsanitary processing practices like Darwin's.
ausdland is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 403
We used to cook for our dogs. We had recipes that were supposedly complete and balanced for our dogs.

We ground all the vegetables very fine (or is that finely?) and added meat, eggs, rice or oatmeal. That mixture was all baked in the oven and then separated into meal sized portions and frozen.

At some point, our grinder died and with the food processor we had, we couldn't grind the veggies as fine(ly?) as before. Immediately after feeding the coarser ground, but not by much, food we started seeing those veggies just as they were before they were eaten, in the dogs' poop.

It was very evident that the dogs were not digesting any of those veggies we worked so hard to grind and cook for them. So we re-evaluated our feeding program.

Our older dog also had the disgusting habit of eating his own waste. Obviously, there was something there that he thought was edible.

Now our dogs get prey diet raw. The older dog almost immediately stopped eating his poop after the switch was complete. He had been doing that for his entire 9 year old life. It seems that he is digesting everything that is desirable and there is nothing left to tempt him.

To me, feeding starches and vegetables to dogs when they can't digest them is useless. Just my opinion and experience.

I would suggest that the puppy be fed raw, if safe raw food can be obtained. It takes some research and effort to get the diet right, especially with a puppy, but it's well worth the trouble. If pre-made raw is available, it would be my first choice.

Last edited by Pawsed; 11-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Pawsed is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Elite Member
 
ausdland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,222
Since this is a home cooked food thread I'll share supplement info..

If you're to cook for your dog, ground meat can be sautéed along with finely chopped veggies. The starch can be lightly boiled/simmered separately. I add 3 parts Safflower oil to 1 part fish oil.
The suggested supplements by my holistic vet are 'K9 Transfer Factor' and 'Bone Meal'. All measurements are weight, age, activity dependent. I disagree with whoever said the dog does not digest finely chopped, cooked vegetables, mine does. However this is a lot of work and I will probably be going back to feeding a complete and balanced premade raw diet in another month or 2 when my dog's gut has completely quieted.
ausdland is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 403
I'm sorry, but our dogs did not digest the vegetables. They were ground up, not chopped, and were well cooked. I would think they would have been more broken down before cooking than your chopped veggies. They were very easily seen in their feces and looked just like they did before they were cooked and fed.

This is what we experienced, not some made-up opinion. I suppose your experience may be different and your dog has a different digestive tract than our dogs do. I would think that if you let your dog's waste dissolve in water for a day or so, you would see those same pieces of vegetables that you chopped and fed to him.

We believed our dogs were using those veggies, too, just like you do. We would have argued the same thing, until we saw that they were not digesting them at all.

Last edited by Pawsed; 11-02-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Pawsed is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Pune, IN
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Since this is a home cooked food thread I'll share supplement info..

If you're to cook for your dog, ground meat can be sautéed along with finely chopped veggies. The starch can be lightly boiled/simmered separately. I add 3 parts Safflower oil to 1 part fish oil.
The suggested supplements by my holistic vet are 'K9 Transfer Factor' and 'Bone Meal'. All measurements are weight, age, activity dependent. I disagree with whoever said the dog does not digest finely chopped, cooked vegetables, mine does. However this is a lot of work and I will probably be going back to feeding a complete and balanced premade raw diet in another month or 2 when my dog's gut has completely quieted.
Thanks - supplements are readily available here as well
To begin with, I am probably going to start with Royal Canin starter and then transition over gradually to home cooked after he is 4-5 months
I am in two minds over raw ..
Premade raw , while available, is hard to trust
Same goes for frozen meats
Having said that, fresh meat from a local meat shop is readily available but we have a 1 year old kid and with both wife and I in full time jobs, it would be hard to maintain the required level of segregation and avoid any possible contamination on either side
Am thinking of keeping a 50% meat/ 20% carb/ 20% veggies / 10% fat (coconut/mustard/safflower in rotation) with added supplements
Any thoughts on what amount (by weight) to feed a puppy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
I'm sorry, but our dogs did not digest the vegetables. They were ground up, not chopped, and were well cooked. I would think they would have been more broken down before cooking than your chopped veggies. They were very easily seen in their feces and looked just like they did before they were cooked and fed.

This is what we experienced, not some made-up opinion. I suppose your experience may be different and your dog has a different digestive tract than our dogs do. I would think that if you let your dog's waste dissolve in water for a day or so, you would see those same pieces of vegetables that you chopped and fed to him.

We believed our dogs were using those veggies, too, just like you do. We would have argued the same thing, until we saw that they were not digesting them at all.
Since I switched to home cooked for my other dog, she has been pooping well and I do not recollect seeing any unprocessed greens
Having said that, she is an Indian pariah (local landrace) that evolved naturally and is by consequence a very robust breed - Evolving over the centuries, while you forage for food will probably have made this breed capable of digesting anything that is edible
superczar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home cooked puppy diet needs ? to be "balanced"? Craig Caughlin Feeding Our Puppy 4 08-18-2017 10:34 AM
K9 Immunity Plus and home-cooked diet duenorth Diet & Nutrition 5 05-27-2014 10:00 AM
Need help tweaking home cooked diet! Jean B. Diet & Nutrition 1 10-15-2012 09:56 AM
Switching to a cooked homemade diet lzver Diet & Nutrition 0 07-12-2012 06:18 AM
cooked rice with raw diet adam1969 B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding 7 09-27-2008 12:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome