home cooked diet for a 8 week puppy - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Crowned Member

Now adults I add fresh food daily. When pups they would get various training treats throughout the day often fresh food. Their are benefits to adding fresh food to processed food. To much can upset the balance and perhaps make them gain weight but adding a small percentage can be beneficial and make things more interesting.
Now as adults I add fresh food daily. Their are benefits to adding fresh food to processed food.
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...t_20260-1.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 11-21-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:23 AM

Dyna & Tessa get raw with rice. Their breakfast is raw chicken with bones (usually drumsticks) with some rice and olive oil. Dinner is glop (ground beef, chicken gizzard, chicken heart, chicken liver, beef kidney, eggs with shell, mackerel, spinach, pumpkin, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, apple, berries, etc) with rice. I make a big batch of this glop about once a month (eggs, offal, and produce get pureed and everything mixed together) and freeze the stuff that won't be eaten within the week. They're both happy and healthy pups.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superczar View Post
Just a quick update :

The pup is now primarily on Farmina (pomegranate and ancestral grains) starter (75%)
I do give him RC starter mixed in one meal as well as a boiled egg mixed in in the morning (25%)

I refuse to agree that 100% of a single food is mandatory - assuming each commercial kibble is 100% balanced, mathemetically it does not matter if you mix them in any given proportion
If at all, it should be beneficial as 1 may have certain supplements that the other one doesn't so you are spreading the hedge

Coming to the post by @Ozymandiasmv - much appreciated!
Granted there may not be a direct connection between RC and cancer - but the fact remains that we would never feed ourselves, least of all a baby highly processed food all the time
It is almost conclusively proven for humans that excessive processed food has a correlation with cancer and other illnesses and every human physician would recommend sticking to a diet consisting of fresh food with maybe a little bit of processed food

I don't see why the same would not be true for our dogs!

At some point in time, I would still want to shift to a mix of kibble and home cooked
I must admit though that I found it very surprising that a lot of folks on this thread are of the view that creating a balanced homecooked meal is akin to rocket science
I found a few straightforward recipes such as this
I don't see why Mixing and matching other fresh ingredients , as long as I use a rough scale and a basic spreadsheet should be too difficult
Great response and thanks for the update! I agree with you on all points. Primarily that mixing it up seemingly has little downside as long as one is cognizant of the need to keep the diet balanced. Moreover, I think it makes a lot of sense to accustom your dog to a variety of foods if only to avoid stomach upset when you take that road trip and forget the food and have to buy an emergency can of cat food at the circle-K to get through the night. 😜

Since writing my post about RC being the Aspirin of kibble, I've also found it increasingly hard to look past the TONS of corn and grain in the first 6 ingredients or so. Yes, even doctors modify their opinions!

I think with all things, the same principles apply: Everything in moderation, balanced diet is best, fresh ingredients make for a healthy lifestyle, variety is the spice of life, and KNOW WHAT YOURE EATING. If you're going to feed raw or home cooked or non-traditional etc, or only one kind of kibble, take the time to do the research and do it right. 🙂

Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Couple of weeks and here is another update:
The pup is primarily on kibble (60:40 - RC Maxi starter and Farmina pumpkin/lamb grain free
To keep things interesting, I do top it up with 1 egg (boiled/scrambled) / boneless chicken (boiled)
Growth and energy levels are good - other than his land shark bites being a lot more painful now (weight tracking below)
Ears are firmly in Tepee territory while Stools are firm (no residue) and dark brown..
The tummy tuck makes him look very lean over the last 1 odd week but I guess that is the height spurt

I did have one incidence of constipation a week ago so switched one his four meals to a 50% chicken/25% rice/25% pumpkin broth and that fixed it up pronto

I am still hopeful of switching to mostly home cooked some day although:
a) Still need to figure out what to do for the micro-nutrients if I do so
b) The lady of the house is dead against it given the amount of work it takes to home cook for my other (Indian Pariah) dog (not to mention the attic fridge being used up predominantly for her food jars)

PS: Ignore the BMI - the weighing scale requires me to add in a figure for height

PS: Considering the thread is 3 pages long, I think it deserves a pic of Loki Boy! - No prizes for guessing which one of the two he is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_F7A18BE2E99D-1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	515169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726 (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	515181  

Last edited by superczar; 12-06-2018 at 03:08 PM.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Think the thread deserves another update
The bad news is I have created a picky monster
Not only do I need to top up his kibble but need to keep varying the toppings to keep him interested in food.

The good news is he is growing well - 4 months and a 20kg/44lb cuddle bug is what I have
He is currently eating ~60% kibble and the rest home cooked including baked chicken, 2-3 scrambled / boiled eggs, a fair quantity of yogurt / milk / cottage cheese (he can comfortably digest lactose) and a fair helping of toddler food (onion free )

BTW , is he a partial sable? Some of his hair strands are half tan/gray and black on the tips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343 (1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	517251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349 (1).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	517253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352 (1).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	517255  

Last edited by superczar; 01-20-2019 at 03:59 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 AM

Don’t know about the sable thing but that’s a beautiful dog, brother. Keep him lean and healthy and he’ll grow up to be a good boy. Love from Pakistan 😬.
superczar likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 AM

This is an amazing resource for raw feeding: https://perfectlyrawsome.com/

There's also facebook groups where you can ask questions and will get back very knowledgable feedback.

What do I want? I want a GSD! When do I want it? NOW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page