Best food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Best food

I have a 14 week make GSD who’s been eating Royal Canin. I realize this may not be the best option for him and wanted advice on another choice. Lately he’s been itching like crazy since we switched to it. The vet thought it may be from his first bath. That was 3 weeks ago. He doesn’t have any fleas as he’s on preventative. Any food recommendations? Cost isn’t a problem and I don’t want to do raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megansambec View Post
I have a 14 week make GSD who’s been eating Royal Canin. I realize this may not be the best option for him and wanted advice on another choice. Lately he’s been itching like crazy since we switched to it. The vet thought it may be from his first bath. That was 3 weeks ago. He doesn’t have any fleas as he’s on preventative. Any food recommendations? Cost isn’t a problem and I don’t want to do raw.

Honestly, recently Royal Canin has made a nice comeback and is a pretty good food. That being said, my last GS was allergic to chicken so the instant i switched his food to salmon i noticed a huge difference. My new GSD is now 13 weeks and from readng the million blogs here i decided to go with Victor Nutra Pro and i fully recommend it (very well priced and chewy delivers it). Hard solid poops, great coat, great teeth, no crazy itching. I am also staying away from grain free due to the new studies that found it causes DCM, which my last shepherd passed away from. But if you need other recommendations Orijen, taste of the wild, Nutro, wellness.. these are all very good foods
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Elite Member

JustFoodforDogs, NomNomNow since cost isn't a problem and don't want to feed raw. Just switched my dog from raw the past 1.5 years to JustFoodforDogs and cook it myself for half the cost.

You have a GSD, if it doesn't have seasonal or environmental allergies, chances are the 'food' is the culprit. I fed Royal Canin to my pup for 6 months, she had runny eyes and was itchy. I will not feed kibble again.

Last edited by ausdland; 10-19-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

I checked out the website of JFD. It mentioned ingredients but not the %s. Seems very heavy on vegggies. The pictures of the veggies looked like it was meant for bunnies. We shouldn't forget that dogs are carnivores. They do eat plant material, preferable partially digested as in green tripe, but meat should be the main part IMHO
huntergreen and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:20 PM

This is the whole problem...... Not 4 out of 6 people can agree on any food.. I am talking about a LID KIBBLE.. I am talking about a non LID kibble. Large breed dog food. Now you have JFG, NNN, $$$ and people still can't agree on ANYTHING... How can anyone get any consistent help when it comes to feeding a GSD.

For persons not willing to go with the raw choice. Some have grains and some have pea's when some do not have taurine. I guess NOBODY knows how to make a dog food y e t !!

I was intrigued about the pre-made meals delivered and their are many of them but my quick-ish reviewing has found the price and outstanding reviews go to NNN. Just thought I would add this and I will wait patiently to get shot down....

Last edited by Malibu; 10-19-2018 at 02:54 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

I feed them kibble in the morning and raw at night. For kibble, including the large breed puppy kind, I am happy with Fromm, Orijin, Acana and Wellness. I rotate these brands and even the varieties within the brand. Sometimes I get the grain and other times the grain-free variety. No problems so far. They have grown up beautifully on this diet (Deja is 5 years old and Griff is a clumsy 10 months old)
I started the pup on raw once or twice a week after about three months as I wanted to make sure they got all the balanced nutrition.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:43 PM

All great kibble food choices by me... EXCEPT I am dealing with itching....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
This is the whole problem...... Not 4 out of 6 people can agree on any food.. I am talking about a LID KIBBLE.. I am talking about a non LID kibble. Large breed dog food. Now you have JFG, NNN, $$$ and people still can't agree on ANYTHING... How can anyone get any consistent help when it comes to feeding a GSD.

For persons not willing to go with the raw choice. Some have grains and some have pea's when some do not have taurine. I guess NOBODY knows how to make a dog food y e t !!

I was intrigued about the pre-made meals delivered and their are many of them but my quick-ish reviewing has found the price and outstanding reviews go to NNN. Just thought I would add this and I will wait patiently to get shot down....
I'll may try NNN next as it's way cheaper than JFFD and cooking every 11 days sucks. My holistic vet and PT vet both recommend JFFD or NNN and say their patients are thriving on lightly cooked, supplemented food.

Ppl give their opinions based on their experience I guess. There are some nutritionally versed ppl on this forum that avoid kibble as do I. It's dehydrating period. If kibble is all a person can do financially or otherwise so be it. Some are better than others I guess but they are all extruded and dehydrating. The OP said cost wasn't an issue, there are healthier alternatives that are almost as convenient, raw, air dried, lightly cooked, base mixes, etc.

Unless you are buying the ingredients you feed your dog yourself it's really hard to know the source.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 PM

If I was to chose a diet it would be 1/2 kibble of choice and 1 pre-made- delivered NNN pouch that I would serve 1/2 in the AM and other half in the PM both with kibble. BUT.. people shoot that down too
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:57 PM

I use a pre made ready to eat complete raw product (comes in patties, can be baked in the oven if you want it cooked).. however you said no raw so respecting that i might recommend Ziwi Peak dry dog food (although i would probably soak in a bit of water or bone broth to re-hydrate before feeding).
ausdland likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page