Loss of appetite in my 9month old German Shepherd puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Loss of appetite in my 9month old German Shepherd puppy

Hi there! I have a 9 month old German Shepherd puppy and for the last two or so weeks he hasn't shown much interested in his food. Before this problem occurred he gulped down all his food and licked his bowl absolutely clean and was always ready for more. Is this something to be considered about ?? Or is he just letting me know that he's ready for one meal a day? Because usually you start feeding one meal a day around a year of age.

Your advice will be much appreciated as I'm a first time dog owner !

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 AM

It has nothing to do with how many times you feed them daily. Take a stool sample in to vet for starters or just take him to the vet.

If he was a good eater and now he's not something is up so start with vet visit.

How is his poop?
Is he drinking water?
Does he have any issues with taking treats?
Has his personality changed? lethargic, uninterested,
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:37 AM

How much does he weigh and how much do you feed him daily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM

I agree that there is something wrong with your dog and he needs to see a vet, especially since this may have been going on for two weeks. Please see a vet as soon as possible and let us know what he found.

This does not sound at all normal and would concern me.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
It has nothing to do with how many times you feed them daily. Take a stool sample in to vet for starters or just take him to the vet.

If he was a good eater and now he's not something is up so start with vet visit.

How is his poop?
Is he drinking water?
Does he have any issues with taking treats?
Has his personality changed? lethargic, uninterested,

He's stool hasn't changed, it's still solid with occasionally it being a but liquady.
Zeus still drinks his water as per usual and his personality is still happy and loving. Although I have noticed that he gets tired quicker than he usually does
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
I agree that there is something wrong with your dog and he needs to see a vet, especially since this may have been going on for two weeks. Please see a vet as soon as possible and let us know what he found.

This does not sound at all normal and would concern me.
Thank you for your feedback! I will have Zeus checked out by the vet
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:00 PM

Just for your information, there is no rule that you need to feed only once a day at one year of age, or at any age, for that matter. Our dogs are always fed twice a day, once they graduate from puppyhood, and will be for the rest of their lives.
Malibu likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How much are you feeding? Volume wise. As in if you are using a real measuring cup (not a coffee mug) how much per day?

And I always feed twice a day. Two times a day I can really look at my dogs and how they are acting eating and what is normal FOR THEM. I have one dog currently eating 4 cups a day (2 in the am, 2 in the pm) and my other older GSD eating only 2 cups a day (1 in the am and 1 in the pm). BOTH amounts are normal for each dog. And both are adjusted as needed.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:26 PM
Master Member

9-10 months is around the time my pup stopped being a vacuum cleaner over food. I thought there was something wrong with him but I checked with a vet and he was good. The thing is he was still eating treats (biscuits) or other snacks such as yoghurt and peanut butter, he just didn't eat his dry food anymore. That's when I changed his food and pour chicken broth over it, he started eating again, but not like before, not enthusiastically. Chances are if your dog is still eating treats but not the meal on the bowl, he's being picky.
MaggieRoseLee likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClarke View Post
He's stool hasn't changed, it's still solid with occasionally it being a but liquady.
Zeus still drinks his water as per usual and his personality is still happy and loving. Although I have noticed that he gets tired quicker than he usually does
Sudden drop in appetite and energy = get to the vet in my opinion. Do not delay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page