6Likes
  • 1 Post By McGloomy
  • 3 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By Malibu
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

How much to feed a puppy

Natty is 7.5 months old and being fed Annamaet Encore, an "all life stages" food. I'm happy with the food and he seems to do well on it. Because the food is designed for all life stages, the recommended feeding instructions are for adult dogs with lower amounts than are needed for a growing pup. I've been feeding him over 1800 calories a day which sounds like a lot but he is fit and trim - an active, so it seems right for him. I know that his growth rate will slow at some point and I will need to cut back on his calories. I prefer to do this gradually. Does anyone know at what age I should begin doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Master Member

https://petsci.co.uk/canine-calorie-calculator/

https://vetcalculators.com/calories.html

Those are what I use as a rule of thumb when feeding my dog. Recommended by my vet.
techinstructor likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Knighted Member

I always feed a dog or puppy based on how they look. Until your puppy is full grown it's best to keep them on the lean side. That means a clearly discernable waistline and being able to see a couple ribs when they're moving around.

That being said, all dogs develop at their own rate, so there really isn't a set age for you to cut back on his food. But you'll notice when he stops growing fast, so just gradually decrease the amount then.

I could see most of my dog's ribs clearly when she was running, and I was feeding her as much as 6-7 cups when she was growing fast. For her the upward growth really stopped at 9 or 10 months, so I tapered her food gradually back down to 4 cups, which is what she gets now. The actual quantity varies greatly by the type of food you're feeding though, so it's usually best IMO to go with the amountbsuggested on the package, then adjust accordingly to keep your dog a bit lean.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I always feed a dog or puppy based on how they look. Until your puppy is full grown it's best to keep them on the lean side. That means a clearly discernable waistline and being able to see a couple ribs when they're moving around.

That being said, all dogs develop at their own rate, so there really isn't a set age for you to cut back on his food. But you'll notice when he stops growing fast, so just gradually decrease the amount then.

I could see most of my dog's ribs clearly when she was running, and I was feeding her as much as 6-7 cups when she was growing fast. For her the upward growth really stopped at 9 or 10 months, so I tapered her food gradually back down to 4 cups, which is what she gets now. The actual quantity varies greatly by the type of food you're feeding though, so it's usually best IMO to go with the amountbsuggested on the package, then adjust accordingly to keep your dog a bit lean.
FEED BY HOW THEY , LOOK, ACT, POOP.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post

Same here. There were times when Jack could have devoured half a bag of food in a week eating 6 cups a day. Then there were times when he'd barely eat 3 cups. Either way, we've always judged how much to feed him based on how "ribby" he looks when standing at the side. Much easier and fairer to the puppy in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page