Digestive issues in puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Digestive issues in puppy

I am new to GSDs. I have an 11 week old puppy who i got at 8 weeks. Breeder had her on diamond naturals large breed puppy. They gave me a small baggie to transition to new food. I got natural balance large breed puppy to adult. She was given a dewormer the Wednesday before i brought her home an came home that Saturday. Went to the vet (not our usual) the following Monday. Was given heartguard and was told heavy load of round worms, but heartguard would help. Diarrhea got worse around Friday but figured it was from dewormer and heartguard. She started vomiting blood Saturday morning so we went to our normal vet. Tested for parvo wich was negative but still round worms. They gave her fluids, special wet food, another dewormer, and antibiotics thinking everything was from the parasites. A week later we were back to very watery diarrhea and no energy. Back to vet. Almost no sign of woms or other parasites. Suspect food sensitivity so gave Royal Canin GI puppy dry food and probiotics. Diarrhea got better very next day. She has been doing better except will get softer stools here and there. Not sure if it is her treats we use for obedience class or what. Vomited a little blood along with dirt she ate (we didn't know she ate it) this past Monday. Vet thinks its an ulcer and gave meds. The GI food is expensive but seems to help. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Sorry it's so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Master Member

You can use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin puree. Make sure it's pure pumpkin and not pumpkin mix (which has sugar and other ingredients). That should help firm up the poop. As far as what's causing the problem...I don't know. If your vet can't figure it out, find another vet. Sometimes you need a 2nd or 3rd or even a 4th opinion. The first time I went for a second opinion, I felt like I was cheating on my vet. That feeling goes a way really fast when they fix the problem that your 1st vet couldn't. The vomiting blood part is the concerning part.

11 weeks and already in obedience class? is it just me or is that a little too early? Around where I live, obedience classes don't allow pups in until at least 12 weeks because not all the shots are done yet before then. Anyway, it could be the treats you are using.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Its more of a puppy skills class with another pup her age. I'll switch the treats and see if it helps. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

sounds more like a need to detox ?

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page