Making the change from 3 times a day to 2 times a day - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Making the change from 3 times a day to 2 times a day

Hello everybody. My pup is about 21 weeks old (~5 months) and seems above average at about 50 LBs but is healthy and looks good weight wise. I presume she's going to end up between 80-90 LBs.

My girlfriend's work schedule is changing so it is going to affect our feeding and crate time during the day for the pup. Right now we are on a feeding schedule of 3 times a day, basically breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our new schedule will make it so neither of us are home during lunchtime and she will be crated from about 11 AM-4 PM so I'm thinking of making the jump to two times a day instead of three times a day.

I've read up on the topic and most say you can make the transition around 6 months of age. Some say wait until a year. I've even seen one that said at like 3 months is fine.

My understanding is that you do 3 times a day because when they are small puppies, their stomachs aren't big enough to accommodate two times a day feeding.

So with that understanding, am I ok to switch her to two times a day in a couple weeks when our schedules change? Or is there something else I should be aware of that my research hasn't covered?

I'm also going to move her nighttime feeding time to about 730 PM which will be after her nighttime walk or exercise we do with her. So feedings will be about 12 hours apart. Each feeding will be a little more than two cups of food as per Hill's recommendation for her weight and age.

My dog has very occasional puking of bile in the mornings. It is rare, and my understanding that when it is only bile, it is due to the length of time between feedings. It's only happened like 3 or 4 times but figured I'd mention it since we will essentially be increasing her time between feedings during the day but decreasing at night.

Last edited by Dutchy; 10-04-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Master Member

The recommendation is to feed 3 times a day until a pup reaches 6 months. It's not because their stomach can't take it, it's because young pups has faster metabolism and that's why they need to go potty every 2-4 hours.

That being said, changing from 3 times a day to 2 will not make a big difference. A lot of people start feeding their pup twice a day instead of 3. Your pup will be fine.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

Just do it, he will be fine. I switched them even earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Your dog is not above average at all he should be 80 lbs max.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page