New food - loose stools - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

New food - loose stools

Hi everyone,

First of all... sorry if I’m posting a lot haha. I’m just a very concerned dog owner... and it is weird because I was less concerned with my first dog.

Anyway - so I have a 3,5 puppy. I was feeding her Wellness Core Puppy (36% protein), and I realized she started having loose stools. Mind you, I was also giving her real chicken training treats. So with the advice of many people on this forum, I decided to 1/ switch her to another food - in this case Fromm Gold Large Puppy, and 2/ being her to the vet for a fecal test.

The test came back negative - no worms or parasites. And as for the new food... I tried to do the switch gradually, but because I didn’t have enough of the old food left, it might have been a bit too much too fast for her. So now she’s having loose stools - which is expected when switching food too fast. There is no blood or mucus. Just loose stool.

I am currently feeding her 3 cups a day - 1 and a half in the morning and 1 and a half in the evening.

Does anyone know how long it takes a puppy to adjust to a new diet? After how many days does it become alarming and I need to bring her to the vet to do additional tests? What can help to make the transition better - pumpkin purée?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:45 PM

Does anyone know how long it takes a puppy to adjust to a new diet? After how many days does it become alarming and I need to bring her to the vet to do additional tests? What can help to make the transition better - pumpkin purée?
Takes 1-3 days only

You mentioned wellness and she started having lose stools. How long was she fine
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

It took me a week or so to transition from the food she had before (Blue Wilderness Puppy) to Wellness Core Puppy. It went well. And all of the sudden it became bad. And it was bad for several days. I also took advice from people on this forum saying that Fromm Gold Large Breed is good - and because it has 10% less protein (Wellness Core has 36% and Fromm 26%) I thought it was gonna be the solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Crowned Member

How much does your puppy weigh?

I would try first breaking into smaller meals as overfeeding can cause loose stools and is always the first thing I rule out. Try 1 cup 3 times a day. Young pups often have issues trying to digest large meals and whenever possible I like to see them fed at least 3 times a day until at least 6 months.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:19 PM

I was going to suggest three meals too. It may be that it's just a little too much at one time for her.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

@Sabis mom so because my partner and I are gone for most part of the day we’re only able to feed her twice a day... but I just posted about this issue and everybody on this forum responded saying 2 feedings a day instead of 3 are not dangerous or an issue...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skllkd68100 View Post
@Sabis mom so because my partner and I are gone for most part of the day we’re only able to feed her twice a day... but I just posted about this issue and everybody on this forum responded saying 2 feedings a day instead of 3 are not dangerous or an issue...
It's not dangerous, but you are asking about loose stool and especially with pups this is a common culprit.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

@Sabis mom I see... You’re probably right.... unfortunately there is not much I can do, as I can’t really take my pup at work. May have to work something out. I usually feed her around 6:30am and 6-7pm. Should I maybe do 6:30am, 6pm and 8pm? Would this work? How many hours between each meals is necessary for it to be effective.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Fromm always gave my last puppy loose stools. He does well on Victor

Forti Flora by Purina is good stuff. Might be worth.a shot to help puppy get eight again.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skllkd68100 View Post
@Sabis mom I see... You’re probably right.... unfortunately there is not much I can do, as I can’t really take my pup at work. May have to work something out. I usually feed her around 6:30am and 6-7pm. Should I maybe do 6:30am, 6pm and 8pm? Would this work? How many hours between each meals is necessary for it to be effective.
Try it, can't hurt and might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page