Feeding guidelines - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Feeding guidelines

Hi everyone,

I posted recently about my 3,5 months old GSD Husky mix named Lucy, and how I realized that for a couple days she’s been having very soft stools.

I brought her to the vet, and they did another fecal test - it came back negative. She’s super healthy - eats/drinks well, plays, jumps around, etc. The vet suggested that it might be the food that has too much protein (I was giving her Wellness Core Puppy - 36% protein), or that I might be feeding her too much.

Here’s the thing.

1/ I am currently switching her to Fromm Gold (26% protein) and we’ll see how it goes.

2/ I have been told that under 5 months old I need to feed her 3 times a day... unfortunately my partner and I are gone for most part of the day, and we really can’t give her a “middle-of-the-day” meal... so we’re currently feeding her twice a day - 1 + 1/2 cup in the morning and in the evening so 3 cups a day total.

I wanted to know if someone can give me advice on this... what are the dangers of feeding my puppy only twice a day instead of 3? I did it with my other dog (now 2 yo pit mix) and he was fine.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 AM

There is no issue. My vet recommended feeding my 8 week old twice a day from the start. As long as its the correct daily amount its more than fine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:49 PM

No issues it's just best to offer several smaller meals in a perfect world. Trying a different food is a good idea but use your eyes to determine how much you need to feed. Don't over think it. Give her 1/2 the amount you usually give her and see how her poop looks. Switching foods slow is key. I do 1/4 new food for 3-4 days then up it another 1/4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

I also use Fromm dog food. I follow the feeding chart on the bag which seems to be working well. I only feed twice a day.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the advice. She is loving Fromm Gold. She’s not difficult with food either so that’s fine
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:52 AM
Master Member

Just agreeing with the others... There's no danger whatsoever with feeding pups under 6 months twice instead of 3 times a day. It is just RECOMMENDED so. Because young pups have really fast metabolism therefore dividing meal to 3 is recommended.

Just continue with twice a day. It's absolutely fine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 AM
Master Member

I was home all day super active dog 3 feeding suited him well. If we were less active during the day I think he would have been fine with 2. We had stool issues that is a whole other issue that led us to raw feeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page