So many options!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

So many options!!

Hey all, ill be receiving my WGSL in 2 weeks and after reading the million threads on here about different foods, I think I've narrowed it down to:

Fromm Heartland gold Large Puppy then to Heartland gold Large Adult
Victor Grain Free puppy then to Grain Free Yukon River
Orijen Large Puppy then to Regional Red or Tundra

I like to go with beef or fish as a main ingredient over chicken solely based on past experiences. I fed Blue Buffalo to my last GSD and he did great on it but after reading all the negative reviews I decided to go with a more reputable company.

Im sure whichever one of these I decide on will be fine, but figured id get some input. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:26 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Be careful with the calcium/phosphorus ratios in Victor. Most are not appropriate for a large breed puppy. A lot of people have great success with it for their adult dogs though!

What is your breeder feeding the litter? Any reason you donít want to stick with what they are being fed for at least a few weeks?
clipke likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

The breeder said he feeds raw but for kibble recommends Orijen or Acadia (which just throws me another option). I do like the idea of raw but im going to stick with the kibble.
I have also read a lot of people dont even bother feeding a puppy food and just go straight to adult food. Any thoughts on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

Right now, I'd be avoiding grain-free foods that have a lot of peas/lentils/beans and/or potatoes. Be sure to follow this thread:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...omyopathy.html
(Acana is one of the foods that kind of seems to me like it's over-represented on the spreadsheet connecting dogs with low-taurine test results with the food they're eating, linked on page 2-3 of that thread...so I personally would be cautious with it til all this uncertainty shakes out with the FDA warning.)

IMHO, grain free is marketing hype! Fromm and Victor are companies I like a lot, but there's no reason to feed their grain free lines unless you are buying a puppy with food allergies (which I doubt). They substitute potatoes and legumes for rice and oats, even though conventional grains are much more easily digested by dogs than those replacements. You can't extrude kibble unless it's at least 30-40% starch, so all grain-free gets you is different, less digestible starchy filler -- NOT more meat! Worse, there's worry now that some of those starchy non-grain fillers may be binding to taurine leading to deficiency in some dogs (though the researchers aren't yet sure).

If you're going to feed Fromm or Victor, I would buy their formulas with grain that are cheaper (e.g., Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy instead of Heartland -- it has exactly the same % protein, and all of it comes from meat instead of beans, at about $10 less per bag!). Spend that extra money on a bag of yummy chew treats or a new toy every month. FWIW, a lot of people here seem to have had pretty good results with the Fromm Gold LB Puppy (blue bag).

As for Orijen, given how much it costs, it seems to have a lot of legumes too -- this really puts things into perspective:
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/is-cha...-a-good-thing/
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 09-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:46 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I feed raw, but have had good luck with Dr. Timís and Earthborn Holistic for puppies, when I needed a kibble option. Iíve yet to have a dog that can tolerate Orijen or Acana. Iíve only ever tried Fromm with my dog who has IBD, and he is not one to judge by because no kibble works for him. I know a lot of people feed it with success.

Iíd heed Magwarts warning about grain free formulas regardelss of what brand you choose, though.
Sabis mom likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:55 PM

I started feeding my GSD Victor Ultra 42 when he was 6 months old and he did fine on it. My other dog has been on adult food since he was 2 months old without issues. You can experiment some to see what your dog likes best but be careful and do so gradually to prevent digestion problems. If you switch 100% of the food too quickly they'll get diarrhea. In regards to adult food specifically look for something higher protein, one of the main differences between puppy food and adult food is the protein content.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by clipke; 09-03-2018 at 06:57 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

@Magwart Thanks for all the info! Ill def be reading through that thread. And yea the main reason I was going to feed grain free is because my last was actually allergic to it and the food made his skin and coat terrible, within 2 weeks of going to grain free he was a brand new dog. But the more I read the more i see how rare that is and how grain free is pretty much just another fad.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Master Member

There is also quite a big difference between grains like corn and wheat that you will find in cheap foods and the grains you will find in Fromm or Victor's foods. Compare the ingredients in the grain inclusive and grain free foods. A grain inclusive food with protein equal to that of a grain free food is almost surely going to have more of that protein coming from meat ingredients.

Mine did great on Orijen. Jazz was on it for 6 years of her life and did great... She does equally well on Victor Hi Pro Plus and I have more money in my checking account as a bonus.
Sabis mom likes this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Master Member

Mine does great on Victor. But if budget is not a problem I heard Acana and Orijen are top notch.
mmags likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

I put Shadow on grain free because I needed a limited ingredient kibble while we worked out allergies, and just left her on it. In light of recent events I regret that decision.
First Mate still tops my list, I can't get many of the foods sold in the US.
Acana has done nothing for Shadow except make her eat more, poop more, reduced her energy, caused hair loss and increased her itching. Plus the singles pork formula that I was feeding is being specifically mentioned in a number of studies related to this DCM thing. So really not thrilled with Acana right now. I had tried it in the past and my dogs did not do well on it so this is really just another nail in the coffin for me.

As far as puppy food I have raised pups on all life stages food and they have done well.
clipke and BlitzTheGSD like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page