RAW Diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

RAW Diet

Have had GSD's for 71 years, since I was 2yo. New puppy coming from well-known working line breeder/trainer that only feeds raw diet.
I would like input on pros/cons of feeding raw diet. Thanks so much in advance for your time... In past, over the years, fed RedHeart processed
horse meat, IAM's canned/kibble, and AvoDerm canned/kibble. Thinking of switching to raw diet with new pup, but keeping 9yo on her AvoDerm
senior kibble.

Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:33 PM

The only thing I consider a con at all is the price. It would cost me a few hundred a month to feed raw for both of my dogs. If you can afford it, then I don't see why not.
goldtwh likes this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Horse Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipke View Post
The only thing I consider a con at all is the price. It would cost me a few hundred a month to feed raw for both of my dogs. If you can afford it, then I don't see why not.

Does anyone out there feed horse meat? If so, where do you get it and how is it sold? canned, raw, frozen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtwh View Post
Does anyone out there feed horse meat? If so, where do you get it and how is it sold? canned, raw, frozen
I'm not sure. I'll be working with WeFeedRaw.com in a few weeks for my instagram, they're gonna send me a months worth of food, Looks like they only sell birds, beef, buffalo, fish and lamb. I haven't met anyone who feeds horse meat. In the past I've just done a mix of chicken and beef + organ meat/bones.
goldtwh likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by clipke; 08-31-2018 at 05:33 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

Are you in the U.S.? If so, it's currently not legal to slaughter horses commercially in the U.S. -- but it looks like the ban expires in October:

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...consumption-h/
goldtwh likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 PM

Have been feeding only raw for years; not as expensive as you would think. Chicken, beef, green tripe, raw eggs; some veggies.
goldtwh likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
Have been feeding only raw for years; not as expensive as you would think. Chicken, beef, green tripe, raw eggs; some veggies.

Would you like to share your provider?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:17 PM

Find local farmers in your area. Green tripe can be had very reasonably in rural settings; it's often thrown away. Chicken thighs, legs or whole birds often come on sale at most grocery store for $1.99/lb if you can't find a local farmer. And I believe that the health of your dogs will improve immensely.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:46 PM

I started our pups on all raw and switched to half raw half taste of wild large puppy breed dry food.

All raw would be too much money for us with two growing large dogs, plus college tuition and our other expenses.

We feed both kibble and raw in same meal and rotate our daily supplements.

Our vet Who raw feeds and is also a nutritionist said mixing was fine to do.

Odin is sensitive to rich meats such as duck and lamb. He can eat those flailed treats but not pure meats, not even duck feet. He can only tolerate chicken necks and eggs, but not other chicken meat/parts.

So we keep pretty simple here. Beef and turkey for meats. Chicken necks for bone. And a turkey or beef organ blend for organs.

Taste of the wild grain free high prairie dry food. And we give them a little goats milk with every meal to soften the dry food.

I also make them fruit cubes or give them raw fruit as snacks/treats.

For supplements I used high quality fish oil, whole chicken or quail eggs, green lipped mussel powder, apple cider vinegar, ocean kelp, turkey stock, spirulina, detox clay. Apple cider vinegar and clay they get daily. The others I rotate so they get 2-3x a week.

Thinking of adding a probiotic, bee pollen, and green juju eventually.

My advice stick to one single protein like turkey or beef, and go slow. Don try to feed a variety all at once. If I was starting over Or only had one puppy, I would do a meal plan. The worry is gone and you donít have to prep yourself.

I love adding raw to my dogs meals, and canít imagine not having some type of raw component. In the future when Iím done with college and can comfortably afford it, Odin and Layla will be back on all raw.

Plus DIY can be time consuming, especially if you have to drive to a bunch of places to find all the meats, bones, and organ.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikka Khrystyne View Post
I started our pups on all raw and switched to half raw half taste of wild large puppy breed dry food.

All raw would be too much money for us with two growing large dogs, plus college tuition and our other expenses.

We feed both kibble and raw in same meal and rotate our daily supplements.

Our vet Who raw feeds and is also a nutritionist said mixing was fine to do.

Odin is sensitive to rich meats such as duck and lamb. He can eat those flailed treats but not pure meats, not even duck feet. He can only tolerate chicken necks and eggs, but not other chicken meat/parts.

So we keep pretty simple here. Beef and turkey for meats. Chicken necks for bone. And a turkey or beef organ blend for organs.

Taste of the wild grain free high prairie dry food. And we give them a little goats milk with every meal to soften the dry food.

I also make them fruit cubes or give them raw fruit as snacks/treats.

For supplements I used high quality fish oil, whole chicken or quail eggs, green lipped mussel powder, apple cider vinegar, ocean kelp, turkey stock, spirulina, detox clay. Apple cider vinegar and clay they get daily. The others I rotate so they get 2-3x a week.

Thinking of adding a probiotic, bee pollen, and green juju eventually.

My advice stick to one single protein like turkey or beef, and go slow. Don try to feed a variety all at once. If I was starting over Or only had one puppy, I would do a meal plan. The worry is gone and you donít have to prep yourself.

I love adding raw to my dogs meals, and canít imagine not having some type of raw component. In the future when Iím done with college and can comfortably afford it, Odin and Layla will be back on all raw.

Plus DIY can be time consuming, especially if you have to drive to a bunch of places to find all the meats, bones, and organ.
I tried mixing as well but it didn't go so well. At first they were fine, but then some loose stools showed up. I was giving them half the kibble they usually get and each about a pound of chicken quarters/wings and beef liver every day. It was definitely cheaper but I don't know if every single dog can stomach it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page