Always hungry... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Always hungry...

Hello GSD friends!
My Ava girl is about 5 1/2 months old and weighs about 51 pounds. I have transitioned her to Victor active dog and puppy and have been feeding her apx 1 1/2 cups of food 3 times per day, so 4 1/2 cups total in a day. I feel like this is enough but she always acts like shes starving and looking for food. She sits by the dog food container when it's time to eat like she can read the clock, and I find her sitting there looking at me with those beautiful brown eyes of hers (begging, I know lol) but like she thinks its time to eat every couple of hours. She is UTD on vaccines and deworming, and has had heartguard.

Is this "starving" behavior normal? lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ava 5 1-2 months.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	510747  
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:39 AM

What a cutie!

I think Katsu would keep eating if I kept giving her food. She gets 1.5-2 cups a day. If her stools look fine and she isn't skin and bone, I wouldn't be concerned by the behavior.
smbrach likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 AM

A higher protein food may help satisfy her. Victor offers a sled dog food that I believe is 42% protein. My dogs were on that for a while but it's pricy. I believe it's called Victor Grain Free Ultra Pro(a 30lbs bag only lasts a week for 2 large dogs, at your dogs current weight it may last a month). Victor Hero Canine is also a good option, or Nutra Pro.
tc68, mmags and smbrach like this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by clipke; 08-31-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:17 PM

I think it's common when they are young. My pups only about 4 months but feeding time she acts like a mad dog wanting to get at the food. I feel like if I kept feeding her, she would keep eating. And she is extremely food driven.

As long as she isn't too skinny, as in you can see all of her ribs, and her coat and stool looks good, I think your fine.
tc68 and smbrach like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

Can you post a picture from above and from her side, both while standing? Dogs are opportunistic; wired to eat while they can, based on their scavenging heritage so when there is food, a healthy dog will want to eat, no matter if it is a buried rotten chicken carcass or kibble on the other side of the pantry door. I feed mine on various times.
Tennessee and smbrach like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:18 PM
Master Member

Wish my dog was always hungry.
smbrach likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:35 PM

Pretty girl! My 6 month old boy is the same way. Some are always chow hounds and others out grow it. So long as she is thriving don't worry about it. I think my boy had limited feeding bowls with the other pups and had to fight for his food. A breeder error in my opinion.
smbrach likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrach View Post
Hello GSD friends!
My Ava girl is about 5 1/2 months old and weighs about 51 pounds. I have transitioned her to Victor active dog and puppy and have been feeding her apx 1 1/2 cups of food 3 times per day, so 4 1/2 cups total in a day. I feel like this is enough but she always acts like shes starving and looking for food. She sits by the dog food container when it's time to eat like she can read the clock, and I find her sitting there looking at me with those beautiful brown eyes of hers (begging, I know lol) but like she thinks its time to eat every couple of hours. She is UTD on vaccines and deworming, and has had heartguard.

Is this "starving" behavior normal? lol
I'm glad you wrote this. For a while I thought I wasn't feeding mine enough. For the 1st 6 months of his life, he was on Victor Nutra Pro, 3 times a day 1.5 cups each time for 4.5 cups a day, just like yours. It seemed like he was always starving. And just like yours, about an hour before each meal he would start picking up his activity and try to herd me to his food. He'd walk over to his food container every now and then. At 7.5 months old (80lbs), he's on his first bag of Victor Hero Canine. I also eliminated his lunch meal. So now he gets 2 cups 2 times a day for a total of 4 cups a day. He still seems to be starving. Still exhibiting the same behaviors. I don't want to give him more food because that would mean more pooping. He's already pooping 4 times a day. If I add more food, I'm back up to 5 times a day. That limits what I can do during the day. I'm hoping within a month or so, I can get him down to 3 poops a day....then twice. I'm wondering if it's the food. If it is Victor, then I may have to try Fromms or Taste of the Wild. Or if it's not the food, then maybe it's the dog.

So to answer your question. Yes, I think it's "normal" in the sense that mine is going through the exact same thing as yours.
smbrach likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 PM
Crowned Member

A dog can easily have different nutritional needs from others. Maybe you could try changing the food she is eating or adding some raw. I do not restrict food, I change foods up, and now I also add some raw. No dog I have ever owned has been consistently hungry. The only dog I ever had that became over weight did so after being neutered as a medical necessity. Prior to that he was always too thin. If anything, I find being underweight a problem with them.
smbrach likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
I'm glad you wrote this. For a while I thought I wasn't feeding mine enough. For the 1st 6 months of his life, he was on Victor Nutra Pro, 3 times a day 1.5 cups each time for 4.5 cups a day, just like yours. It seemed like he was always starving. And just like yours, about an hour before each meal he would start picking up his activity and try to herd me to his food. He'd walk over to his food container every now and then. At 7.5 months old (80lbs), he's on his first bag of Victor Hero Canine. I also eliminated his lunch meal. So now he gets 2 cups 2 times a day for a total of 4 cups a day. He still seems to be starving. Still exhibiting the same behaviors. I don't want to give him more food because that would mean more pooping. He's already pooping 4 times a day. If I add more food, I'm back up to 5 times a day. That limits what I can do during the day. I'm hoping within a month or so, I can get him down to 3 poops a day....then twice. I'm wondering if it's the food. If it is Victor, then I may have to try Fromms or Taste of the Wild. Or if it's not the food, then maybe it's the dog.

So to answer your question. Yes, I think it's "normal" in the sense that mine is going through the exact same thing as yours.
Likely just the dog. My dogs were on Victor for a while, now on Purina Pro Plan Sport which is almost identical to Nutra Pro, and they poop 1-2 times a day. They pooped more often when they were younger.
tc68 and smbrach like this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page