Switching to Adult Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Bug

Switching to Adult Food

Hi there,

I was just wondering when people usually switch to adult dog food? I tried searching the forum but for some reason couldn't find the answer, so I apologize if this gets asked a lot.

My pup is 10 months old, 23", and was 62lb last time we weighed her about 3 weeks ago. She's female and spayed. She's always been pretty sturdy and hasn't really ever gone through a weird lanky phase. I've noticed that she's not eating as much of her puppy food as she was, but she's keeping a nice weight. She's mostly GSD with some lab and husky thrown in there.

I've just never had a puppy as an adult, so I'm not quite sure when to switch her over.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

Anytime. Many ppl don’t ever feed puppy food. I’ve adopted all of my dogs between 7mo-1yr and have always gone straight to an adult diet, visiting puppies included.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Arrow

When i researched this a few months back I came to the decision I would switch at 18 months. Not sure where I read that, but here are a few helpful links for you.

https://www.total-german-shepherd.co...erd-puppy.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...dult-food.html

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Bug

thanks guys! i think i will go ahead and start introducing "all life stages" food. i guess you cant really go wrong with that?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Hi there,

I was just wondering when people usually switch to adult dog food? I tried searching the forum but for some reason couldn't find the answer, so I apologize if this gets asked a lot.

My pup is 10 months old, 23", and was 62lb last time we weighed her about 3 weeks ago. She's female and spayed. She's always been pretty sturdy and hasn't really ever gone through a weird lanky phase. I've noticed that she's not eating as much of her puppy food as she was, but she's keeping a nice weight. She's mostly GSD with some lab and husky thrown in there.

I've just never had a puppy as an adult, so I'm not quite sure when to switch her over.

Thanks!
Griff is almost 8 months old. I just ordered (most likely) the last 15 lb bag of large breed puppy food that he only eats in the AM. In PM he gets the same raw diet as 4.5 year old Deja. He is lean and has had only one 2-week bout of Pano as a 4 month old.
He just came out of a growth spurt where he sometimes needed food 3 times a day. I always go by their daily body condition before feeding them. I guess a LBP food is good for growth spurts.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 08-09-2018 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Master Member

Mine is 13 months and still on puppy food. Vet suggested until 24 months on puppy food. I switch back and forth to All Life Stages/Puppy. All good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page