barely eating and scrathing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

barely eating and scrathing

hi,

Samuel has been on the same kibble (Fromm Large Breed Puppy Chow) for the 7months of his life. sometimes i spruce it up with a little milk or chicken broth, or beef broth, or milk or an egg. but as of late he doesn't eat it like he used to. he eats maybe just a cup or so. he used to gobble it down like there's no tomorrow, and he was gaining 1lbs every month for the past three months. month 5, 50lbs, month 6, 60lbs, month 7, 70lbs. his behavior has not changed in any way, still playful and feisty. and he's not looking skinny. so i'm thinking that maybe he's not on a growing frenzie as he has been?

i've also noticed that he has been scratching a lot and not just in one place.

what are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

Puppies go into a growth spurt between 5-7 months. My female was gobbling down about 5 cups of food a day, and still looked skinny!

Then her metabolism slowed waaaay down, and she was leaving food in her bowl. Given the absence of any other problems, that could be what has happened to your boy.

As to the itching, I would look for environmental causes first and foremost before I'd blame the food. But dogs can't digest lactose, so I'd maybe stop giving him milk on his food.

Wash his bedding wash his crate, check every nook and cranny for fleas (it's peak season now, and some dogs are amazingly sensitive to bites.) Bathe him with an anti-itch shampoo. Especially check his ears - if my young female has itchy ears, it will start her itching other parts of her body, too, because it hurts too much to scratch the ears.

If none of this helps, try changing the food. Chicken based foods often cause problems because of all the stuff (antibiotics, etc. ) they feed poultry. My older girl is definitely sensitive to chicken.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks Sunsilver!

no fleas to be found, no grain products, and no chicken based products, and no bedding just hardwood floors. Samuel stays in the house most of the time except for when he is doing his business, or when we go out to play fetch.

i'm thinking of adding a bit of olive oil to his chow, or is there some thing else that might help his skin? bathing is tough because i have a lame arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

I have been told a fish oil supplement will help the coat.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Coconut oil in his food might help. It could be an environmental allergy. I switched mine to adult Fromm a little younger than your dog is now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

so i mixed in half a can of tuna, and he gobbled it down! i think he's been getting bored with just kibble - ugh! this is going to cost me more $ to keep his pallet entertained
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page