Vintage Dog Food/Protein Levels - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Vintage Dog Food/Protein Levels

Hello,

Been wandering this forum for awhile and decided to post to get some insight into if I am going in the right direction to feed my new 15 week puppy Solo.

The family we got Solo from was feeding him Horizon large breed puppy (this may not be a well known brand as it's Canadian and local to Alberta/Saskatchewan). Anyways, it has a crude protein of 28% (min). I was researching what food to give Solo as I do not believe Horizon is a high level product. So we went to a local pet store and got convinced to try a brand called Vintage.

Vintage is a baked dry food and closer to a raw style food then standard kibble. After we got home I remembered GSDs need a good level of protein and the vintage only provides 23% which I do not believe is high enough. As well, the first two ingredients are meat (fish in this case) but after that it's peas, potatoes, etc.

I can dig up information if needed, but am I on the right path about the dog food and I need something a bit higher in protein (thinking 28-32%)?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

A working dog...as in a dog that is working...should have between 25%-30%. Per AAFCO, a puppy should be getting about 23%, so that percentage is fine. NRC has a different way to calculate it but I would have to read how to do it.

With the latest information coming out of Tufts and UC Davis on grain free foods containing peas, potatoes potentially causing heart issues from lack of taurine, I would be more concerned about the ingredients than the protein content for a puppy.

The first ingredient on the horizon is Chicken Meal, followed by 2 grains and then chicken again.

This is Vintage

Fresh Herring, Fresh Salmon, Peas, Potatoes, Dehydrated Fish, Green lentils, Chickpeas,

2 meats that are NOT meals. Which means they have more water in them. Followed by peas, potatoe and lentils and chickpeas. all vegetable/legume that contain higher protein.

And they make this claim
"Market Fresh Produce including Whole Vegetables and Fruits,
X NO plant protein, starch, fiber or flour concentrates"
Except..... they have peas, lentil, potatoes and chickpeas in their products that all have protein in them!!!!

I would not feed Vintage given the latest data. Not only is it less protein but I would bet the protein is coming from the peas, lentils, chickpeas and not the meat.

Last edited by Jax08; 07-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate your input. Yes I guess you are correct, the protein is probably more from the legumes than the meat. With that being said, I have only read a few articles on the new grain information potentially connecting grain free diets to heart disease, so are brands like Arcana, Orijen, etc still as good as they were thought of before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

A cardiologist I know said the biggest offender seems to be the kangaroo and lentil foods. I feed a food called Victor. I"m not sure you can get it where you are? And I feed raw.

Why did you not like the food you had him on originally?
Sabis mom likes this.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
A cardiologist I know said the biggest offender seems to be the kangaroo and lentil foods. I feed a food called Victor. I"m not sure you can get it where you are? And I feed raw.

Why did you not like the food you had him on originally?
I have never seen Victor here. It is so often recommended I have looked repeatedly. Debated shopping trips in Montana, lol.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 AM

My dogs love Victor too, and do great on it. Luckily they sell it at two farm stores about 15 minutes from me.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

I just don't see anything wrong with this Horizon brand. It's a locally made food. Are there better foods? Yes. But there is really nothing wrong with this one.

Red Paw is a really good food. Don't let the corn put you off.

Farmina would be one to look into as well.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Been busy with the work and the new puppy.

To answer a few questions:
1. I got caught up with reading up on all the foods and looking for the best for him. The horizon food he eats and enjoys, but currently he is having less than solid bowel movements. I'm not sure if this is the food or the vaccines he got last weekend.

2. I was focusing on the protein part not the whole picture. Just want him healthy and happy. I am not so knowledgeable about dog food.

I have not seen Victor around but I'll keep an eye out for it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask_James View Post
Been busy with the work and the new puppy.

To answer a few questions:
1. I got caught up with reading up on all the foods and looking for the best for him. The horizon food he eats and enjoys, but currently he is having less than solid bowel movements. I'm not sure if this is the food or the vaccines he got last weekend.

2. I was focusing on the protein part not the whole picture. Just want him healthy and happy. I am not so knowledgeable about dog food.

I have not seen Victor around but I'll keep an eye out for it.
A few foods that you will or should have access to, I'm right next door.

Go!
Canadian Naturals
First Mate

I tried Horizons Legacy for Shadow and she loved it. I would have kept feeding it except for the flaxseed. I also liked the Canadian Naturals. And if you are shopping at Walmart do yourself a favor and check out Actrium or Pure Balance. Both foods have respectable ingredients and are definitely value for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page