Homemade Diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Homemade Diet

I have two 4 month old puppies. I have had them two weeks. They were on puppy kibble but I am changing their diet to homemade. I have been feeding cooked chicken, boiled egg with shell, green beans and rice. I want to do what is best for them and meet their nutritional needs but I will not feed commercial dog food. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

You should contact a nutrionist like Monica Segal. The above meal plan is terrible and severely lacking in nutrients
Heidigsd, Aly, GypsyGhost and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Jax08; 06-27-2018 at 02:46 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:26 PM

I second Jax. When puppies are growing it is extremely important to make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need because this can effect them the rest of their lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

Nutritional Guidelines - FEDIAF

Or look up the AAFCO requirements.

But until you figure it out, find a commercial food of some sort to feed them. One that states they meet these requirements.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

How do y’all feel about the rendered meat that is in commercial dog food? My husband is a contractor and has been working at a plant that Renders meat for dog food. That’s my problem I know what it is and I really hate to feed that to my dogs but I don’t want to not meet their needs. I did go today and get Taste of the wild puppy food but I’m not happy about it. I will continue to research and I will contact a nutritionist for a consultation
Aly likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Elite Member

I'd transition them to an all life stages food that meets AAFCO requirements asap. I you like home cooked look at JustFoodForDogs, you can buy their supplement formula, your own food and cook it yourself or look at The Honest Kitchen dehydrated food (human grade) if you don't want to cook.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Monica has books with recipes and Dr. Karen Becker has a book on nutrition as well.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyfromGa View Post
How do yíall feel about the rendered meat that is in commercial dog food? My husband is a contractor and has been working at a plant that Renders meat for dog food. Thatís my problem I know what it is and I really hate to feed that to my dogs but I donít want to not meet their needs. I did go today and get Taste of the wild puppy food but Iím not happy about it. I will continue to research and I will contact a nutritionist for a consultation
I have been a raw feeder for over 7 years. BUT I know if kibble became my only option, for whatever reason, there are good kibbles on the market. My dog would be fine. What are they? I have no idea without doing the research.

But yeah, if you want to do homemade, it has to make sense & benefit the dog, especially a growing puppy. My dear MIL pretty much only feeds her tiny little dog cooked chicken, she thinks itís great but he does not have any muscle and just appears like a weakling, thatís the only way I can describe it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:56 PM

I raw feed too, it's been over 13 years now. Dogs, cats and ferrets, they all do great. My latest dog to be raw fed is a Great Dane, I started from the day I brought her home and she transitioned wonderfully. Home cooking is possible but I know very little about it and from what I gather it requires more effort on your part to get it all right. For raw feeding there are different ways, but I follow prey model raw. Meat, bones and organs. Some people do veggies too, but I stopped that within the first year of switching to raw. The only thing I supplement with is fish oil.

Anna
No GSD right now, though I had one named Nevada. She passed a few years ago. Now I have a Great Dane named Freyja and maybe a GSD in the near future.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Who says you have to feed rendered meal as an ingredient if you feed a balanced commercial diet? Not any more--you have more choices than in the past.

In addition to commercial frozen raw, look into the Honest Kitchen's dehydrated diets. THK has a couple of "all life stages" diets that are labeled as OK for puppies. It's made in a people-food certified plant, so they can't bring in feed-grade ingredients. The employees allegedly taste it coming off the line.

Also, there's a new kibble brand called Rawz that has no rendered meals. It's from a family with a sterling rep in the pet food industry. If I were looking for a kibble, it's the one that would be among my top contenders, in part because of the people behind it.

I totally agree that guessing wrong on a home cooked diet is not worth the risk. I think there's a blog post Monica did a while back analyzing several widely circulating Internet recipes for home cooked diets, and they were all lacking in some key micronutrients. That's scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page