Do your dogs/pups eat EVERYDAY? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Do your dogs/pups eat EVERYDAY?

As some of you may know, I have been having difficulties trying to get my healthy 11 months old puppy. Last week I had to go out of town anad I left him with my cousin, and told my cousin to feed him only 2 cups a day (as opposed to 4.5 cups). The first 3 days I came back, he devoured all the food (for the 1st time in like weeks). The 4th day, he didn't touch it AT ALL. Now I'm on the 5th, still not interested at all. Keep in mind, I never feed him table scraps, haven't fed him treats, and he gets tremendous exercise each day, sometimes additionally before eating (I feed him once a day at night). I can't even begin to elaborate how upset I am with his behaviour. That being said, I don't yell or anything, I keep quiet.

Makes me wonder, does your dog eat regularly EVERYDAY? Or are there some dogs who eat once every other day or once every 3 days and such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 AM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Mine eat every day, twice a day. They all act like they have never seen food before, for every meal. I do have one dog who would refuse kibble before I switched him to raw. He has GI issues, though, and kibble basically makes him explode. I cannot blame him for refusing food that makes him ill. Haven’t had a problem getting him to eat since switching him off kibble.
MineAreWorkingline and Femfa like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:56 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
As some of you may know, I have been having difficulties trying to get my healthy 11 months old puppy. Last week I had to go out of town anad I left him with my cousin, and told my cousin to feed him only 2 cups a day (as opposed to 4.5 cups). The first 3 days I came back, he devoured all the food (for the 1st time in like weeks). The 4th day, he didn't touch it AT ALL. Now I'm on the 5th, still not interested at all. Keep in mind, I never feed him table scraps, haven't fed him treats, and he gets tremendous exercise each day, sometimes additionally before eating (I feed him once a day at night). I can't even begin to elaborate how upset I am with his behaviour. That being said, I don't yell or anything, I keep quiet.

Makes me wonder, does your dog eat regularly EVERYDAY? Or are there some dogs who eat once every other day or once every 3 days and such?
How much does he weigh? How big are the bags of food you are buying? How long does a bag last? How are you storing the food?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:34 AM
Elite Member

My guy gets 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening... he acts like I never feed him. He is always starving.
I feed him the recommended amount on the bag and I think his weight is right - I can feel his ribs but he isn't skinny. He loves food - all food, any food.

Breakfast I just give to him in his bowl, dinner he earns by doing training.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:02 AM

My dogs get a small breakfast and a bigger dinner. My gal-dog gets 1/2 cup of kibble and a boiled egg each morning. My big-boy gets 1 cup and a boiled egg. In the evening my gal-dog gets 1 1/2 cup kibble and a gloop of good canned food. My boy 2 cups of kibble with a gloop of canned dog food. They also get food as training rewards, but not kibble.

With the hot summer, my big-boy sometimes looses his appetite for breakfast. When he was younger he didn't always finish his dinner. I did hear of a husky mix that ate only every 3 days. This guy would give him a huge bowl of kibble. The dog would eat it all and then not eat again for a couple of days. I don't recommend this, but it worked for that one dog.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:35 PM

What does your dog weigh? How much are you feeding him every day?

My Beau’s sire is 92 lbs lean, so when Beau was a pup I fed him based on that projected adult weight. (I feed raw.) He ate everything I gave him for months, so I figured, good guess. At ~10 months he suddenly started refusing meals - I mean a bowl of raw beef steaks just ignored. He’d go a day or more hardly eating, just nibbling a little, then quitting. He seemed fine otherwise. I was frantically researching, while coaxing and hand-feeding him, when I realized I was just feeding him too much. He just wasn’t going to be as big as his sire. So I offered him a meal, then put it away immediately if he didn’t dig in, no more coaxing. Took two days for him to actually want to eat. I also adjusted his portions until he started avidly cleaning his plate every meal. Problem solved. At 3 his current adult lean weight is 72-74 lbs.

Could you be feeding your pup too much?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Luna eats twice a day sometime 3 times depends if she is really hungry and i can tell she is really hungry because she will not listen and will chew on things, so i will give a half a cup to calm her down or i will do some more training with kibbles. 99.95 of the time it is 2 times a day 2 cups.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

Does he have access to another food source? A neighbor who feeds him or whose dog food he steals, a bag of food etc.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you ALL for your insights.
Ok, so

1. No, we live in apartment just the two of us and I can assure you if it's not from me, he has 0 access to food.

2. He weighs 80lb, lean.

3. I feed him 4.5 cups, 1800-2000cal, which is the recommended amount based on TOTW for his age and weight, and the recommended amount from my vet. In 2 weeks I am going to start decreasing to 3.5 cups (He's 12 months then).

4. When he eats, he either doesn't eat AT ALL or eats EVERYTHING. There are times when he doesn't finish but quite rarely.

5. He is healthy (checked with the vet). So this is mostly and most likely a behavioural problem. Like one of you here, he used to LOVE his food up until he was 9-10 months.

This has become a huge problem. It's taken a toll for me as his owner and mother. Don't know what else to do.

Maybe I should try feeding him just every other day?

But then it will keep the food for 2 months instead of 1 month and it will become stale........
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2397_1529958952960.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	506449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2395_1529958972525.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	506451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2392_1529958993611.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	506453  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page