Loss of appetite? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Loss of appetite?

Mei is 19 weeks today. This started just a couple days ago. We feed her three times a day. We've fed her Victor Hi Pro Plus kibble from 8 weeks and she would inhale it. Started at cup and half each feeding and I wanna say at 4 months upped it to two cups each feeding and she would eat it all no problem.

Lately she hasn't inhaled it, so that's good but wasn't finishing it. What I've done is poor the rest of the food on the ground then she will at least slowly finish. This morning she didn't seem interested at all in the food until I poured it all on the ground but she still left a little.

Is she just getting picky? Her poops are good and solid. She still poops on a schedule too. Her behavior hasn't changed at all. She burps after eating, so that's a good sign nothing is twisted. I've always waited like half hour to hour after she eats before playing. She doesn't seem sick. Just still her normal happy self. She's goin nutso right now with her Kong Wubba toy...its her favorite lol.

Do I need to change her food up? I've been very happy with Victor. It's not the cheapest, but I wouldn't feel good about feeding her stuff just because it's cheap
I even feed the cats good lol. Victor has other lines I can maybe try. I've thrown a raw egg mixed into her kibble before and she really liked that. Just had crazy diarrhea the next day though.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

So, my youngest daughter asked to eat a bagel. I asked her where her yogurt went and she said the older sister ate them and then she said the dog ate it...

Now I'm wondering if this is happening because the kids are possibly giving her human food...
Jax08 likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:31 PM
Master Member

Teething can affect appetite--if that's the problem sometimes soaking the kibble in warm water-- getting it softer may help--hotter weather also can affect appetite... or as you said you may need to change foods either brands and/or flavor....sometimes these guys ..out of the blue...get picky about certain food...change food they'll fine.....at least for a while---lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanes' Dad View Post
Teething can affect appetite--if that's the problem sometimes soaking the kibble in warm water-- getting it softer may help--hotter weather also can affect appetite...
Well it is getting hot and I didn't think of the teething. She definitely is going through that...

Thanks!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
So, my youngest daughter asked to eat a bagel. I asked her where her yogurt went and she said the older sister ate them and then she said the dog ate it...

Now I'm wondering if this is happening because the kids are possibly giving her human food...

If you think that's happening semi regular.....sure that'll affect the pups appetite and can help create a "picky" eater
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

Stop messing with her food to get her to eat, too. That will definitely make it worse. Ask me how I know ☺️
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Stop messing with her food to get her to eat, too. That will definitely make it worse. Ask me how I know ☺️
Same here lol. I tried not messing with it but she wouldn’t eat for days. Started just mixing yogurt in and no issues. Now I’m having to hand feed her to start her off and THEN she will eat out of her bowl....
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 PM

Am a hard mum lol. Kids and dogs alike. I don't run a hotel with a menu. You get what you are given and if you don't eat it, no treats. That being said there is no point in trying to force feed my son eggs because he hates them. With my pup. food was down for fifteen minutes, if she didn't eat it, tough. However after a very long stand off it was obvious that she just doesn't do kibble on it's own (even soaked) so she gets it mixed up with wet food. Even now, she's not really a breakfast person but then neither am I.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Crowned Member

If they are feeding her sweetened yogurt, stop them. Your children should not feed her anything you haven’t approved. They can make her very sick.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:01 PM
Master Member

Yes do not allow flavored yogurt! We only mix in plain yogurt with live enzymes. Does wonders for her coat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page