Diarrhea since day 1 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Diarrhea since day 1

Hi all, hopefully someone can help me. I have a male gsd puppy who just turned 4 months last May 17. Got him exactly 30 days ago from a breeder.

Breeder used to give him RC maxi junior. However due to its non-availability in our area, I decided to give him Acana puppy large breed. Since then, he's been having diarrhea. When I finally got a sack of RC, his poop turned from watery to soft. I can say it was solid but not firm enough. Just today, his poop again became watery though with a little soft part.

If you'd ask about the quantity, I'm giving him 300g/day or 100g per meal 3x a day. DRY.

Puppy is VERY energetic. Appetite is ok. seems underweight though.

The color of his poop is like mashed kibbles except that it looks like I put too much water.

I already brought him to the vet, who however did not find anything alarming.
Was advised to give him scour for 5 days. During that 5 days, his poop were soft but not watery. Days after administering scour, his poop again started becoming on/off watery.

I hope someone can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Did your vet do a fecal analysis?

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Oh. Now I wonder why he didn't do that. Neither did the 2 other vets I spoke with over the phone advised about doing the same. Will do it ASAP. Possibly a worm issue? His next deworming is scheduled on June 13 if that helps. Or overfeeding? As i said though? He seems underweight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:17 PM

There are numerous bacterias and viruses that can cause long term diarrhea, not just worms or regular digestive issues. That's why I mentioned the fecal analysis. I would think a vet, after this kind of timeline dealing with watery stools, would want to figure out what's causing it.

ETA: Diarrhea can certainly affect nutrition absorption, so that could explain the weight.

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018

Last edited by Mame; 05-20-2018 at 12:29 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beibitoi View Post
Hi all, hopefully someone can help me. I have a male gsd puppy who just turned 4 months last May 17. Got him exactly 30 days ago from a breeder.

Breeder used to give him RC maxi junior. However due to its non-availability in our area, I decided to give him Acana puppy large breed. Since then, he's been having diarrhea. When I finally got a sack of RC, his poop turned from watery to soft. I can say it was solid but not firm enough. Just today, his poop again became watery though with a little soft part.

If you'd ask about the quantity, I'm giving him 300g/day or 100g per meal 3x a day. DRY.

The color of his poop is like mashed kibbles except that it looks like I put too much water.

Was advised to give him scour for 5 days. During that 5 days, his poop were soft but not watery. Days after administering scour, his poop again started becoming on/off watery.

What do you mean by "put too much water?" Do you add water to his food? If so, don't. I don't think that will solve the problem but you don't need to add water to his food. Also, I may be mistaken but isn't Acana one of the brands that recently had a recall? I know a lot of people here look down on Royal Canin but since you can buy that maybe you should stick to it. Can you get Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy formula? If you can't, ask the store to get it for you since they already provide Royal Canin. Also, if you can, buy some canned pumpkin. That will firm up the poop. My breeder told me that works and also I've read it elsewhere. Can you find Victor or Fromm's brand dog foods? Those 2 brands are currently 2 of some of the best dog foods available. Anyway, that's some suggestions for you.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mame View Post
There are numerous bacterias and viruses that can cause long term diarrhea, not just worms or regular digestive issues. That's why I mentioned the fecal analysis. I would think a vet, after this kind of timeline dealing with watery stools, would want to figure out what's causing it.

ETA: Diarrhea can certainly affect nutrition absorption, so that could explain the weight.
Thank you! Will have to ask him then. Just got a text message from him asking me to have xray just to check if he swallowed anything. Could it be possible that he indeed swallowed something a month ago and until now, he seems to be doing fine other than the diarrhea? Well, i suppose something more terrible would have already happened if that's indeed the case. But I'm not sure.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
Quote:

What do you mean by "put too much water?" Do you add water to his food? If so, don't. I don't think that will solve the problem but you don't need to add water to his food. Also, I may be mistaken but isn't Acana one of the brands that recently had a recall? I know a lot of people here look down on Royal Canin but since you can buy that maybe you should stick to it. Can you get Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy formula? If you can't, ask the store to get it for you since they already provide Royal Canin. Also, if you can, buy some canned pumpkin. That will firm up the poop. My breeder told me that works and also I've read it elsewhere. Can you find Victor or Fromm's brand dog foods? Those 2 brands are currently 2 of some of the best dog foods available. Anyway, that's some suggestions for you.
Hi. Not sure about the Acana. I heard though that they're now facing a lawsuit, which many claims to be baseless. I tried asking for the RC for GSD but that's not available here. I'm also trying to look for that FROMM brand. But i dont think anyone sells that here in the Philippines. Never heard of Victor. I'm sure that does not exist here. We only have GO and Taste of the Wild. Do you think it's the dog food?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Acana has a high protein and fat content. I was advised not to use it by a vet. Have them check for Giardia. The vet should have done a fecal. For chronic diarrhea our vet prescribes Metronidazole. That gets rid of Giardia if it’s there, but also other bacteria. Use a probiotic.
cqok likes this.

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 05-20-2018 at 04:58 PM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Hi. Not sure about the Acana. I heard though that they're now facing a lawsuit, which many claims to be baseless. I tried asking for the RC for GSD but that's not available here. I'm also trying to look for that FROMM brand. But i dont think anyone sells that here in the Philippines. Never heard of Victor. I'm sure that does not exist here. We only have GO and Taste of the Wild. Do you think it's the dog food?
Oh, you're not even in North America. You're in the Philippines. That may explain the vet problems and the choices of dog food. With my previous GSD, I fed him a 50/50 mix of Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and Royal Canin German Shepherd. He did really well on that mix for almost 12 years even when he had EPI. I don't know if it's a food problem or that your pup has worms or bacteria like others said. Maybe if you can find another vet. Sometimes you have to get a 3rd or 4th opinion. However, since you're in the 'Pines, I don't know if you can find quality vets. Oh, and don't change foods so fast. It has to be a gradual change. As far as the food is concerned, your store is probably importing the foods from the States or Canada. Maybe when the food is being shipped, it isn't kept in cool containers? I don't know. Just hypothesizing. Do you check the expiration dates on the bags of food? Are you giving the pup other foods that he shouldn't be eating?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 PM

I did a fair share of reading, and it looks like yes, a foreign body in a dog's stomach can be in there for weeks or months, and it can cause diarrhea. Not diagnosing by any means, but an x-ray can't hurt.

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page