When to s too adding water to food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 2 Post By Femfa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

When to s too adding water to food

Currently we add water to Smokey's food and let it get moist. He is 7weeks and 4 days old. When is he old enough for dry food without the water?
He almost never eats it all during food times but since the vet said he is a bit underweight we are using more food than we were the first couple of days so he has the option of eating more. Which, of course, means that some of the food is wasted.

We feed Blue Wilderness so his food is kinda expensive. If you have a really good large puppy food that is cheaper if love suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:26 PM

If he's got teeth, he should be old enough for dry kibble. If he doesn't eat all the kibble in his allotted time (15-20 minutes) I'd put it aside for the next mealtime.

Lately I have added warm water to my pup's food, along with a chondroitin "aspic" made from boiled ham bones and a dollop of canned pumpkin to make a stew (my husband calls it 'watery glitch'). Boon loves it. No chance there'll be anything left after 5 minutes.

And we're currently feeding "Good Natured Chicken and Barley" puppy food because that's what the breeder started them on and when the brand was discontinued, it was marked down to $3/bag and darned if we didn't buy it ALL. Boon is now 5 months, and I am going to switch to "American Journey Salmon and sweet potato" adult food soon to keep him from growing to fast. See if that brand has a puppy variety.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

You may reconsider Blue Buffalo as a brand. Plenty of problems mentioned here on the form. My vet has seen many stomach problems on that food.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
You may reconsider Blue Buffalo as a brand. Plenty of problems mentioned here on the form. My vet has seen many stomach problems on that food.
What brands do you recommend that aren't too expensive. We are a large family on a lower income in a rural area and the Blue Wilderness was one of the only large breed puppy foods that I saw at the store. We can go to a larger city for shopping (We go once a month currently) or order from online if needed but can't go any higher cost-wise (which would have to cover shipping if shipping online) If there is a better brand that is cheaper that would be even better. TIA!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

Check out Chewy.com and dogfoodadvisor.com. The higher end foods may be more expensive but they may very well save you in vet costs down the road. Raising a GSD well is costly. I rotate a few brands on Large Breed Puppy. So far: Wellness and Fromm.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Elite Member

I fed Blue Wilderness for a while until I started hearing bad things about it. Now I feed Fromm. I buy it from petflow.com and it is delivered right to the door, free shipping. I think the price is similar, but it's been a while so I'm not 100% sure.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Master Member

I'll personally always soak my kibble. It's crazy how big some kibble expands, and with a breed prone to bloat, it's just a simple precaution I take out of worry as my girl's granddam passed to bloat on top of limited activity pre/post eating.

Some relatively cost effective but good food brands to consider are:
- 4Health
- Earthborn Holistic
- Victor

These foods are pretty good, and around the same price for a 30lb bag as Blue Buffalo. 4Health can be found at a Tractor Supply store, as can Earthborn Holistic.
Pawsed and GandalfTheShepherd like this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page