Adult food at 5 months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FlyboyZR1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Adult food at 5 months?

My breeder suggested transitioning from puppy food to adult food around 5 months of age to prevent him from growing too fast. Would this be a wise time to make the switch in foods? Also I'm currently feeding 1.5 cups in the AM and 1.5 cups in the PM. Should I keep the amounts the same, or change as the pup grows in size?
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 AM
Elite Member

Depends on your puppy and the food you are feeding. If it's regular puppy food then yes transition to LBP or all life stages food. As for the amount, since it's a GSD, yes you'll be feeding more as it grows.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Currently feeding Nutrisource Large Breed Puppy food and will probably transition to their Large Breed Adult food. Just curious on the best time to make the change. It seems like the amount of cups people feed is all across the board with around 3 per day being average.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Master Member

I don’t feed puppy food but an All Life Stage excellent quality food. Never had an issue with growth or anything really.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

(OP, I am not stealing your thread) How long do you keep a GSD pup on LBP?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyZR1 View Post
My breeder suggested transitioning from puppy food to adult food around 5 months of age to prevent him from growing too fast. Would this be a wise time to make the switch in foods? Also I'm currently feeding 1.5 cups in the AM and 1.5 cups in the PM. Should I keep the amounts the same, or change as the pup grows in size?
Depending on the adult food you choose, you could actually be doing the opposite of what you're trying to do. Not all adult foods have appropriate levels of Calcium and Phosphorus for a large breed puppy. If you do transition now, make sure you are transitioning to an All Life Stages approved formula with appropriate Calcium & Phosphorus levels for your puppy.

I don't feed puppy food ... though I will feed it long enough to transition slowly to the ALS formula that I prefer if that is what the breeder was feeding when the pup comes home. Feeding a LBP formula (theoretically) ensures that the food is nutritionally sufficient for a large breed puppy, but if you find a good All Life Stages food with the correct Calcium and Phosphorus levels, you can skip the puppy food altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
(OP, I am not stealing your thread) How long do you keep a GSD pup on LBP?
I don't think there is a correct answer to this question. As far as growth is concerned, by 10-12 months growth has slowed considerably. By around 18 months bone growth and development is complete. So if you want to feed puppy food until growth is complete, then around 18 months is probably the best time ... though as I said above, as long as you feed an ALS food with good Calcium and Phosphorus levels, puppy food isn't really necessary.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page