Am I feeding enough? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Am I feeding enough?

Good Morning Everyone,

I am currently feeding Solid Gold Lil Boss to my almost 9 week old (one day shy) puppy and the bag states from 2-15 lbs should be fed anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1 cup per day. I am currently feeding 1 cup spread out between three meals. My concern is that he feels kinda skinny, I can feel his washboard ribs and feel his hips however they aren't necessarily visible because he's a long coat. He's currently 8 lbs on the dot and seems to be always hungry. I know you want to grow these puppies slow so I am not sure if I am being a little too patient or starving the little guy. Per the breeder recommendation I am keeping him on this food for another 2 weeks before I slowly transition him to see how he does on Fromm LBP. Any help is always appreciated. Much love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 AM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

That food is formulated for small breed dogs. I cannot find the calcium and phosphorus levels, but I imagine they are not appropriate for a large breed puppy. One cup a day is likely not enough food for a 9 week old puppy, no matter their current weight. Thatís only 400 calories for the entire day. I would do a slow switch to a more appropriate food for a large breed puppy, starting now. And I would be feeding more than one cup. Just my opinion, Iím not a vet, breeder or nutritionist.
DarylG23 likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Master Member

"1 cup spread out between 3 meals?" So 1 cup a day? Or 1/3 cup, 3 times a day? I don't know but that is way too little, I think. At 9 weeks, I was giving mine 1 cup, 3 times a day....so 3 cups a day (different brand of food). At 13 weeks now, I'm giving him 4.5 cups a day and he's still hungry. I think you're starving him. 8 lbs at 9 weeks old?! Good grief, please, feed the pup. Mine was twice the weight of yours at 9 weeks old. I gotta ask, is your dog even a pure GSD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Knighted Member

My puppy weighed 20lbs at 9 wks...I fed her a different brand of kibble, but she never ate less than 3 cups per day, and that went all the way up to 7-8 cups per day when she was growing fast (4-7 months of age). Go by the puppy's appearance, you should not be able to see ribs at 9 wks!
DarylG23 likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
That food is formulated for small breed dogs. I cannot find the calcium and phosphorus levels, but I imagine they are not appropriate for a large breed puppy. One cup a day is likely not enough food for a 9 week old puppy, no matter their current weight. That’s only 400 calories for the entire day. I would do a slow switch to a more appropriate food for a large breed puppy, starting now. And I would be feeding more than one cup. Just my opinion, I’m not a vet, breeder or nutritionist.
I took to the forum a couple of weeks ago prior to picking him up and some recommended I keep him on it for at least a couple of weeks, while the little one gets situated. I will look into feeding him a little more. I still have a large quantity left but will pick up some LBP for him today and slowly introduce it to him next week. So I think I may have came up with a solution but not sure if I am wrong. I think I will feed him a 1/2 cup in the morning, 3/4 cup in the afternoon, and then 1/2 cup in the evening of his current food. This way he will get roughly 700 calories per day. According to the feeding recommendation for fromm pups his age should get aproximately ~680 calories per day so I just applied that rule to the food he is currently on.

Last edited by DarylG23; 04-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
"1 cup spread out between 3 meals?" So 1 cup a day? Or 1/3 cup, 3 times a day? I don't know but that is way too little, I think. At 9 weeks, I was giving mine 1 cup, 3 times a day....so 3 cups a day (different brand of food). At 13 weeks now, I'm giving him 4.5 cups a day and he's still hungry. I think you're starving him. 8 lbs at 9 weeks old?! Good grief, please, feed the pup. Mine was twice the weight of yours at 9 weeks old. I gotta ask, is your dog even a pure GSD?
I am feeding him 1 cup a day or 1/3 cup 3 times a day, however you like to see it but its the same thing. At his vet check after I got him the vet said he was perfectly healthy. So i dont know it just made me question if I was feeding enough. He is purebred and definitely wasnt the runt of the litter. There was one other male and he looked to be a good 10-15 lbs but he was bigger than some of his sisters. Dam is 70-75 lbs and sire sits at 90-100lbs but when they were surveyed they were within breeding standard.
tc68 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
My puppy weighed 20lbs at 9 wks...I fed her a different brand of kibble, but she never ate less than 3 cups per day, and that went all the way up to 7-8 cups per day when she was growing fast (4-7 months of age). Go by the puppy's appearance, you should not be able to see ribs at 9 wks!
Thank you and I will keep this in mind. I cant see his ribs since he is a long coat but I can definitely feel them when he doesn't have some food in him.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:12 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

My current puppy, at 13 weeks, is eating 2.5 cups of kibble plus a half pound of raw per day (roughly 1200 calories). My last puppy was eating 3 cups per day from 8 weeks until 12 weeks, then 4 cups per day until I switched him to raw at 5 months (heís a lean 70 pound, 3.5 yo adult now). Iíve not found the feeding guidelines on the bag of kibble to be terribly accurate based on age or weight, unfortunately. I would say your puppy is likely to need more than 700 calories per day. I would up it a bit more than that and then feed based on body condition. Itís a bit of a guessing game at first, thatís for sure!
DarylG23 likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
My current puppy, at 13 weeks, is eating 2.5 cups of kibble plus a half pound of raw per day (roughly 1200 calories). My last puppy was eating 3 cups per day from 8 weeks until 12 weeks, then 4 cups per day until I switched him to raw at 5 months (heís a lean 70 pound, 3.5 yo adult now). Iíve not found the feeding guidelines on the bag of kibble to be terribly accurate based on age or weight, unfortunately. I would say your puppy is likely to need more than 700 calories per day. I would up it a bit more than that and then feed based on body condition. Itís a bit of a guessing game at first, thatís for sure!
Okay thank you for your advice, ill closely monitor him and i will get him on the LBP.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 PM

That sounds way too little.

My pup just passed the 10 week mark on Wed. He was at the vet the tues prior after an ant incident with a reaction. He was 15.3lbs @~12.25 inches at the shoulders. Our first vet check was just about 8.5 weeks at that time he was 10.9 and the vet noted he was too lean. Since then I bumped the feeding schedule up and added in moist food as well.

My feeding schedule is something like 4 feedings a day, I have very flexible work schedule as does the wife.
Each feeding consists of:

-3/4 cup Diamond Naturals Large Puppy - Lamb
-~1/8th or less cup Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete (this is my adult dogs food, high protein and fat, he loves it and encourages him to eat more kibble, he is allowed very little however since it lacks the calcium and phosphorus his puppy kibble has.
-3-4 Tbps of Diamond Naturals moist - I sort through all the flavors to keep it interesting
-1-2 tsp organic plain yogurt

I will also for a change mix in some Evangers chicken, essentially just chicken / chicken liver / chicken broth in a loaf form to the moist mix, or give that in place of his normal moist mix.

His weight is rising with no fatness, still a little lean looking from the ribs to his hips IMO but he is growing much quicker than I expected.
DarylG23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page