Trouble getting puppy to eat. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Trouble getting puppy to eat.

My puppy is not eating the way I feel he should be. I would expect that in the morning for breakfast that he would eat his food. He doesn't. He sniffs it and walks away. Then picks at it through the day. We started with food that the humane society had. Then went to beniful puppy and now at purina pro plan lg breed puppy food that the vet recommended. All foods he did the same. The vet tech said to get him on a schedule set food down for breakfast leave for 30min if he doesn't eat pick up and do it again at lunch and dinner. He will learn to eat at those times. I have not tried any wet food. Are gsd finicky? I had a black lab with little problems eating.
I had mixed food with peanut butter and yogurt and he will eat some but not all of it. I had tried making him a yogurt and kibble long treat he licked it for a while then gave up. I give him a chewy bone to play with while I'm working and he devours it. Not sure what to do. From his first vet check till now which was 3 weeks he gained 8lb 21-29. So he's not starving. Over all his total food in take is aliitke less than 2 cups a day. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.
Thanks
Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Master Member

Try a different brand. There are plenty of better quality dog foods out there. The common brand that I see a lot of people here use is Fromm's Gold for large breed puppies (something like that). I use Victor and my pup loves it. If you're going to change foods, do gradual changes. Instant changes will result in diarrhea. If you don't want to spend a lot of money buying bags of different foods, some stores have trial size bags. If the stores don't have trial size bags, send an email or call the different brand companies. They'll be more than happy to send you samples. Just because your vet tells you to use Purina Pro Plan, doesn't mean you should. I'm not a fan of Purina's. My first GSD developed allergies from their foods when he was a puppy. And my general rule is...any brand that you can find at a grocery store (like Pedigree, Purina, etc.) is not going to be a good quality food.) That's just my personal opinion. No offense to those who like those brands. It may take a while to find the right one, but be patient and good luck.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

First of all how old is this pup, and how long have you had him? Two cups may be plenty for an 8 lb puppy.

Not a fan of adding things to dogs food unless it's fresh food. Yes shepherds are a bit notorious for being picky and some pups just don't eat well. If you must add things use raw meat, berries, plain yogurt or eggs. Many dogs love raw eggs. Stay away from peanut butter unless it's real, all natural peanut butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I have had him for about 4 and a 1/2 months now and he weighs 28 pounds
Sabis mom likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

Did you get an approximate age when you got him? ( from the pound I presume).

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajb2320 View Post
I have had him for about 4 and a 1/2 months now and he weighs 28 pounds
Sorry I misread the post. LOL. Not enough coffee.

That said, everything else I posted stands. GSD's are notorious for being finicky eaters. Adding toppings to kibble usually devolves into a battle to find new and interesting things to feed. I would try your vets advice first, put the food down, leave it for 15-20 minutes and pick it up. No more until next meal time.
I have also found that some dogs just like to work for their food, so use a portion of your daily kibble as training treats. Or even all of it. Some days Shadow leaves her breakfast, but if I pick up the dish and do sit, come, down, heel exercises with her she will gobble it down as fast as I offer it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

They said he was 8 weeks but my vet said he will lose baby teeth around 16 weeks and he still has those ferocious things
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I tried making a yogurt and kibble kong he licked it for as little while then gave up. Not used to the not eating it all at one clip like my lan was.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Master Member

Hi Allen, I'm sorry that you're having trouble feeding your puppy. I'm gonna tell you my experience with my boy, hopefully it will help. I've had my boy since he was 7 1/2 weeks. When he was around 4/5mo, suddenly he was not as interested in his food as he was before. Like your pup, he will sniff, eat a little bit then back away. I was puzzled by this because it was new and unusual. I tried mixing it with rice, he still didn't want to eat unless he was really hungry. Now that's one of the keys! If he does not want to eat when you have prepped the food, take the food away and don't have it available throughout the day, he has to learn that food has to be eaten when it is served. So for 2-3 days he only ate half of his food intake, but he ate it for dinner anyways. Since I was worried, I finally tried purchasing wet food, and mixed it up with the dry food. WORKED LIKE A CHARM. He ate like a champ and has been ever since. For some reason, dogs (or at least my dog) has less sensitivity to wet food, so while his dry food is one of the top notch brands (I feed him Pro Pac, no corn no wheat no soy no by-product), his wet food is 'basic': Alpo ($6.79 /dozen). No issues with that, he's physically healthy, his coat is shiny, teeth are great AND he is growing on a healthy rate, he was VERY skinny before he had the wet food (he has 1 can per day, subtitutes 100g/1 cup of dry food). What I am trying to say is, try mixing his diet with wet food, like actually mixing the dry and wet food together in his bowl. If you're up for that, hopefully your pup will eat with no problem again! Good luck.
andywhite likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank u for all the help and info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page