Fromm for an adult? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LuvShepherds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Fromm for an adult?

My pup is almost 12 months and I am going to switch him to adult food. I tried the Fromm's LB Puppy when he was young but it gave him loose stool and I switched him to Diamond Naturals LB Puppy. He's done well on it. Should I assume the adult Fromm would have the same effect? I'd like to feed him a decent kibble in the ~$50 range for the large bag. Thanks!

Hurricane WGSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

Try Fromm 4 Star. It’s a better food. Loose stool could be a reaction to chicken. Try Whitefish and potato and salmon a la veg. If he still has loose stool, try adding pumpkin, probiotic and feeding a little less.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Could have just been the transition... my pup struggled transitioning to the fromm LBP but once he finally got used to it he loves it and his stools are solid. hes 7.5 months now... just be patient. the fromm is an excellent food.

Ghost -- All white GSD/Husky, rescued at 21 weeks, weighing 36 pounds, 1-9-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

I would start with Fromm's "regular" Four Star (not the grain-free), as it's less rich (and likely an easier transition) than the grain-free Four Star. The Chicken-a-la-Veg might be a fairly easy transition from chicken-based Diamond, but the fish-based ones are also very easily tolerated by many dogs.

However, Fromm Four Star costs more than $50/bag (at least at my store..) -- I think the grain-in "regular" ones are just under $60. The grain-free Four Star is around $70 lately. Prices went up this year. Fromm Gold Large Breed Adult is about $50/bag.

I would stay away from the Four Star Pork & Applesauce with a tender-tummied dog. That one seems to set off some dogs' tummies, even when they otherwise do well on Fromm products.

Once you get them eating regular (with grain) Four Star, you can rotate into the grain-free ones too. The Hasen Duckenpfeffer is like candy to my dogs -- they LOVE that one.

Last edited by Magwart; 04-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

If they have loose stools on chicken I won’t use it, because it could be an allergy or a reaction. Dogs are overexposed to chicken. All puppy foods I looked at include chicken protein.
Genalis_mom likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

Magwart --Max had issue with the four star Fromm pork and applesauce-two year’s back. I don’t know if it was a stomach bug or what but I do stay away from the fromm 4 Star pork and applesauce. It was the only time he ever had tummy issues. Our chihuahua was fine with the pork and applesauce. I still just stay away from it.

Have no complaints about Fromm though and sure do trust the company. Great food!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Based on local availability I'm debating on these 3 choices.

Fromm's Four Star Salmon Tunalini
Fromm's Four Star Duck and Sweet Potato
Acana Heritage Freshwater Fish

The 2 fish have higher protein. Acana has higher fiber. I think the calcium phosphorus ratio's are OK on all 3?

Any opinion's or thoughts between the three?

Hurricane WGSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page