feeding pup adult kibble - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Question feeding pup adult kibble

I have our pup on what the breeder had her on. She said she never feeds her pups puppy food because she feels it's too rich for them. Our pup is 8 weeks old. She's growing like a weed. But I still worry if she's getting the nutrition she needs. I'm feeding nutro max grain free kibble. Her poops look good, firm. I'm feeding her 3 times a day about as much as she wants in those feedings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 08:21 PM
Master Member

You need to feed a "large breed puppy food" it is the easiest and safest way to make sure your puppy is getting the appropriate nutrition. An adult food can be too high in calories and nutrients. The "large breed puppy" foods have the nutrients carefully balanced along with the appropriate calorie intake. Many adult foods are too high in calories, calcium and phosphorous, and cause the dog to grow too rapidly. You want slow steady growth, and not a fat pup.

Last edited by dz0qp5; 03-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

Mine did not do well on LBPF so I switched to an adult food with similar proportions of fat and protein. Both are Fromm. Unless there is a good reason, puppies don’t need grain free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Mine did not do well on LBPF so I switched to an adult food with similar proportions of fat and protein. Both are Fromm. Unless there is a good reason, puppies don’t need grain free.
In what way didn't they do well? Griff is on FrommLBP in the early morning and at noon and his poop is soft. He gets raw at night and that produces perfect little turds.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Master Member

My breeder fed raw along with some Earthborn Holistic. She told me when I got the puppy to not feed the puppy formula. My dog has grown at a nice steady pace. He's 11 months and 70 lbs. He has not filled out yet so he's got some growing to do.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

I have not feed puppy food to the last 3 puppies. Gunny, my now 8 month old, got to finish the 20lb bag sent home with him. Then I make sure it is an "all stages" high quality dog food. I trust most of what the site Dogfoodadvisor says about the food. I was feeding grain free 4health from Tractor Supply. Fed it to my dogs for years. And would put in some of their new "wild" food. But then Menards started carrying Native in all 4 stages and I like it better. I alternate and mix stages 2 & 3. Even my Dutch, who tends to have huge softish poop is doing better on it. She is 52-56lbs and gets 1/2 cup twice a day. (we train a lot so there is always some extra food during the day but not much) and Gunny gets between 1 to 1-1/2 cups twice a day. He is 8 months, over 25" tall and probably around 75-80 lbs. They have great shiny coats and love that it is small sized kibble.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Elite Member

My last two GSD pups I did not feed puppy food and they did well.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
In what way didn't they do well? Griff is on FrommLBP in the early morning and at noon and his poop is soft. He gets raw at night and that produces perfect little turds.
Soft poop, pano, always seemed hungry, developed a chicken allergy. All puppy food seems to use chicken as a protein source.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Soft poop, pano, always seemed hungry, developed a chicken allergy. All puppy food seems to use chicken as a protein source.
pano - that's what it's called!!! I couldn't think of the name of it. All my past Shepherds got pano real bad and they were on puppy food. I have mine on lamb right now. I don't like grains since dogs were not meant to eat grains and could develop allergies from it. This pup is going to be large. So I don't want her growing too fast.
and all my past pups had super loose stools. So far this one has perfect stool. Not too hard, not too soft. I heard about the calcium issue but can't find the % of it in the food I'm feeding her now. So I don't know what it is.
Thanks for all the replies and nice knowing others are feeding adult and pups are doing fine. Or past pups that have done fine.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Master Member

All kibble includes something, used as a binder, that dogs aren't equipped to process...Grains in some foods, potatoes, peas, etc in Grain-Free foods. There is nothing inherently better about Grain-Free unless your dog has an allergy or sensitivity to grains.

If your pup does well on the food and is growing at a steady rate then stick with what works. Personally, I like to make sure that Calcium and Phosphorus levels are appropriate for a large breed puppy, and that the food is AAFCO certified as an All Life Stages food. As long as those 2 boxes are checked, the food is from a company I trust, and my dog does well on the food, I'm happy to feed it to a puppy of any age.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page