• 1 Post By Mary Beth
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By Sabis mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

4 Health Pup chow

Hello all!

Genali will be coming home in a few weeks, at about 10 weeks old. Her breeder has introduced her to soaked (in warm water) puppy food........4 Health brand. Genali certainly eats well. She is the one that has to stand in the middle of the bowl to eat, and eats until she ends up trying to lay in the food bowl. Her little "my belly is full" grunts when she is removed are simply hysterical.

Mama dog was on 4Health puppy for the duration of the pregnancy, and for a few weeks before she was bred. Before breeding, her and the father were both on 4 health Adult for the majority of their lives. Parents both have shiny coats, white teeth and bright eyes. Pups are fuzzy little hairballs of soft fur, bright eyes, and OH so very active. Everyone has nice clean skin with no dry or rough patches.

Everyone has, um, pretty poop. I am sure that you dog folks know what I mean by pretty poop. Nicely formed for the adults, no unexpected odor etc.

Pups have had their first shots and are on a worming schedule, but are showing no signs of worms (Parents both had a clean fecal) SOOOOO, I am considering just carrying the 4 Health brand right on over when Genali comes home, since everyone seems to be doing well on it.

Have any of you used 4Health kibble? Was it a good experience? I understand that different foods work better for different dogs, I am just wanting some general experiences. I do realize that 4Health is a mid-line level feed.

Just a bit of info........Genali and her littermates are with their parents at a friend's house. I am able to stop by their house several times a week to see my new little girl. This is how I know how she eats and behaves. One day soon, I'll stop by and BRING HER HOME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Since Genali is doing well on the 4 Health Pup Chow and you are pleased with it, I would suggest keeping her on it. That's great your future puppy is so close and she can get to know you before she is old enough for you to take home.

This older thread has opinions on 4 Health:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...og-food-2.html
Genalis_mom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

hmmm. I did a search but didn't find that thread!

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 AM

I say that don't fix what ain't broke.

I seldom use the kibble, I use a few tablespoons of the canned for topper. I will say that the large breed kibble is fun to roll across the floor for the dogs to chase. It is a game I save for those days when the weather has been difficult for a long time.
Genalis_mom likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Master Member

I agree with Mary Beth if your pup does well on 4 Health-good poop-no stomach issues-coat looks good-no scratching/itching...and for me most important---your pup likes it....stay with that brand. I've had dogs at both ends of the appetite spectrum..so to speak...some that will eat anything..literally...and others who are/were Very Very Picky. It can be very difficult to find the "right" kibble or combination of---for a picky eater. I currently have a "picky" senior male. Recently I tried Natures Recipe -Natural Balance-Fromm-Acana-American Journey-4 Health and Taste of the Wild. My 3 seemed to do great on any of the brands...the winner in the taste test for my picky eater was Taste of the Wild. Frankly he liked Fromm the least... it's a high quality food and not inexpensive..but he didn't care for the taste

You'll find members here with good or bad opinions of a brand for various reasons...that's fine...for me I 'm glad there's plenty of choices out there
Once again if your pup likes it ...stick with it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

4Health is the private label for TSC made by Diamond. It's almost identical to Diamond Naturals (and the Kirkland foods sold at Costco) -- they're all sister foods, made in the same plant, with virtually identical ingredients. I think of them as interchangeable.

It's a solid mid-priced food -- a good value for a very reasonably priced food. We feed a lot of Diamond-made food in rescue because of the price/value proposition it represents, and it works well for a lot of dogs. In other words, there are better foods, but at substantially more money -- but this is probably the best bang for your buck on a budget, for dogs that don't have food allergies. A lot of friends involved with rescue feed the Costco Kirkland version of adult food to their personal dogs too.

One caveat: Diamond has a sketchy history of recalls, though none recently. Given that history, I think it's important to save your bag lot codes until the bag is gone, just in case they have another problem. They're not alone in this -- several highly advertised companies (like Blue Buffalo) are kind of in the same category in terms of recall history, in my mind.
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 03-10-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

I always told adopters to find a food that a) your dog will eat and digest b) you can afford and c) that you can get with relative ease.

The best food in the world will do your dog no good if they refuse to eat it or it causes stomach issues. German Shepherds are notorious for having sensitive tummies.
No one should be going broke feeding an animal that is supposed to enhance your life. An awful lot of dogs are surrendered or dumped because owners are guilted into believing that if they can't feed premium food they should not have a pet.
A food that is impossible to find will do you no good in the long run. Distributors run into shipping issues all the time and a premium food that is only sold by one store is problematic. Stick with a food that you will be able to find when you run out, because at some point you will.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page