Help feeding a 4 month old underweight puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Question Help feeding a 4 month old underweight puppy

On february I adopted a 3 month GSD female, needless to say she was the cutest girl ever. Sadly, she was kinda underweight, I could see and touch her ribs and her skin clearly didn't have enough fat to cover them, her waist was really slim. The vet told me to mix her dried food (I feed her with RC maxi junior for large breeds) with chicken or any meat, so I did. Now she's been growing like crazy, last check at her new vet (with 3 1/2 month) she weighted 11.5 kg, but she still looks skinny, her waist is so narrow :C. I looked for better quality food and i found Taste of the wild (I live in Chile and couldn't find wellness or acana), but now i learned that it's really bad for puppies since it has a really high calcium content (because it seems it's made for all ages). I'm lost, don't know what to do. Up until now, I have mixed her dry RC food with rice, cow liver, beef and chicken breast (all of these are cooked), and I always feed her over the amount of dry food I should (plus that, I add the food I cook).

I found taste of the wild puppy pacific stream formula and it made me even more confused, since I read a lot of comments saying that TOTW didn't have a puppy formula, wich caused the calcium problem.

Can anyone give advice about this?, should I keep feeding her with RC or do I change it for TOTW? the vets I know doesn't really know about which food its better, but one of them told me to keep feeding her with my cooked food + dry food. Here in chile I can also get Brit care, is it a good option? Please help!

pd: she's always hungry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

She may need to be dewormed. It's very common for puppies to need deworming several times -- sometimes a round of dewormer fixes these weight-gain issues very easily.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

The time we went to her vet she was dewormed internally, so I doubt she has any remaining worms. I can't find any worms in her poop either. I feel like shes using all her food to grow instead of gaining weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

Can you post a picture from her side and from above her back, both while she is standing?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia.o View Post
On february I adopted a 3 month GSD female, needless to say she was the cutest girl ever. Sadly, she was kinda underweight, I could see and touch her ribs and her skin clearly didn't have enough fat to cover them, her waist was really slim. The vet told me to mix her dried food (I feed her with RC maxi junior for large breeds) with chicken or any meat, so I did. Now she's been growing like crazy, last check at her new vet (with 3 1/2 month) she weighted 11.5 kg, but she still looks skinny, her waist is so narrow :C. I looked for better quality food and i found Taste of the wild (I live in Chile and couldn't find wellness or acana), but now i learned that it's really bad for puppies since it has a really high calcium content (because it seems it's made for all ages). I'm lost, don't know what to do. Up until now, I have mixed her dry RC food with rice, cow liver, beef and chicken breast (all of these are cooked), and I always feed her over the amount of dry food I should (plus that, I add the food I cook).

I found taste of the wild puppy pacific stream formula and it made me even more confused, since I read a lot of comments saying that TOTW didn't have a puppy formula, wich caused the calcium problem.

Can anyone give advice about this?, should I keep feeding her with RC or do I change it for TOTW? the vets I know doesn't really know about which food its better, but one of them told me to keep feeding her with my cooked food + dry food. Here in chile I can also get Brit care, is it a good option? Please help!

pd: she's always hungry
Most of us will tell you to get better quality brands like Acana, Orijen, Victor, etc. But since they're not available, then stick with RC. Since you can find RC maxi junior for large breeds, you should be able to find RC German Shepherd Puppy Dry Dog Food. Ask the store where you buy it to order it for you if they don't have it. TOTW Pacific Puppy is ok too. If you're worried about these 2 brands, I used to mix half RC GSD and half TOTW Pacific to my dog for 10 years. (Not the puppy formula for both because they didn't have it back then. Now they do.) He did fine on the mix and loved it that way. He lived almost 12 years. Good luck.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:48 PM
Master Member

A photo would definitely help for sure. Lots of people liked to comment my girl was “starving”, but in reality she was a good weight. This is what she looked like...

9 Weeks:

~ 12 weeks:

~ 16 weeks:

My girl is always hungry, even to this day at almost a year old, lol. She’ll eat until she explodes and has been that way since a puppy. I think too many people are used to seeing overweight dogs. Scale number doesn’t necessarily dictate a healthy weight, either. It’s definitely what you can see and feel.

If you can get photos that are directly from the side and from above, it’ll help us tell you more about what her body condition might be. My photos are just kind of for reference what a healthy weight might look like.
tc68 likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the wait, here are some pictures of her (are about a week old, took them but never uploaded).

Im still considering the change of her food though, but find any decent review of Brit Care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180308_005820200_iOS.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	488169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180307_144606785_iOS.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	488177  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Master Member

She looks fine to me. Lots of times when dogs are eating or drinking they're sucking in, and it makes them look skinnier than they actually are. She might be a touch skinny, but nothing where I would be majorly concerned about her well being myself. Too many people are accustomed to fat dogs, so when they see a dog that's an appropriate weight they freak out, haha.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:24 PM

Puppies need high protein. Beef, beef and more of it. Lots of raw meat. With the photo I would not be overly concerned, that said a lack of amino acid and B inefficiencies are very much not desirable and/or bad.

JD

Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:35 PM

Growing up vs growing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia.o View Post
The time we went to her vet she was dewormed internally, so I doubt she has any remaining worms. I can't find any worms in her poop either. I feel like shes using all her food to grow instead of gaining weight.
I have heard it said (from breeders) that they go through stages, sometimes growing OUT (might look like "sausage on pins" for a while) and then get bigger but skinny (growing UP). Some say giving (raw) ribs is good for weighting up. As long as she is a healthy weight, and you can feel some ribs but they are not too sharp, and she has a waistline, she should be OK. That's what I am aiming for per people's advice on this forum. Making her overweight is bad for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page