When did you switch to adult kibble? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shane'sDad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

When did you switch to adult kibble?

My pup is going to be 11 month old in a week, my puppy kibble is running out and I'm thinking of switching her to adult version. She is 80lbs and at least 25 inches, so I don't think she needs puppy food. When did you switch your dog to adult food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Master Member

My puppy was never on puppy food. He was on adult holistic Earthborn grain free from the time he was at the breeders. The breeder feed mostly raw with some adult Earthborn...and that's what I kept him on. He's now 11 months, and he's had nice steady growth.

From what I've read, most change to adult formulas around 6 months old.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Really? Man, I wish my vet would tell me these things x_x

Thank you Illinois!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 03:01 PM

My girl was on all stages and vet wanted her on LB puppy and she's almost 7; I'm actually almost out of food wish I would have seen this sooner so I could have purchased some to mix. I wasn't sure when to switch her over either.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

I acquired all my dogs from 7 months and up... never fed puppy food either. I’ve fostered younger dogs tho, they ate what my dogs ate

I also haven’t fed senior foods. My oldest gal was on taste of the wild when she died at 13, my 11 yr old now is eating Acana.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Master Member

I like many other members don't feed puppy food. Many breeders will have a favorite brand of kibble although it's generally not puppy food. Many quality foods nowadays will say "for all life stages" on the bag. The important thing IMO is to watch their weight and keep them on the leaner side. That IMO is better for their health and longevity.
Curing likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

The Whole Dog Journal has a good FB post on this today. The reason for puppy food, according to them, is that pups under 7 months take in a lot of calories and if you feed them adult kibble they get too much calcium unless it is kibble for all life stages. They recommend puppy kibble before you feed raw at 7 months. I will give the new pup mainly kibble but a few meals a week raw until he is at least 6 - 7 months. Then it is kibble in the morning and raw at night.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 05:20 PM

I'm not feeding puppy food. Adult all stages. When I had GSD's on puppy food, they would get painful joints around 4-6 months, sometimes longer. It's called something but I can't think of it right now. They get over it but they will limp around for a while. So exercise should be kept an a minimum til it passes. Something about bones growing at a faster rate or something like that. It's been a long time since I've had pups til now. Anyway, the breeder I got my pup from said she NEVER feeds puppy kibble, it's too rich, too high in calories for GSD's.
And now I wonder if the sore joints were the cause of puppy food??? Growing faster than they needed. IDK.... but something to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page