Acana OR Taste of the Wild??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Acana OR Taste of the Wild???

Hello Hello....

So on March 12th we will be welcoming a 8 week old white GS into our home. I am going crazy on the type of food to feed him!!!! What do you all recommend? I have seen great things on both Acana and TOTW.. as well as bad...so I need help. I would LOVE to get him on grain free.. I have seen the difference it can make.

I had Rotties in the past and fed a raw diet BUT 6 kids later that's just not possible

Please Help...

(When it comes to budget I am "open" to the cost)

Thanks
~Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Knighted Member

This is not a recommendation. It is just my own observation that my dogs seem to do better on Acana.
Victoriasnyder likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

Only use grain free if your dog has grain allergies. The ingredients added to dog foods to replace grains are not always good for them. I used TOTW for my rescues, based on what the rescue groups told us to use. It was not the best food. When I got my most recent puppy, I used Fromm large breed puppy and then switched all my dogs to Fromm 4 Star and rotate foods. One of my dogs was very sick, not food related, and Fromm helped me personally with a diet plan when I needed to make decisions about food. I have never worked with a dog food company that helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

Acana was too rich for my dogs. I have fed Taste of the Wild for years and my dogs have done well on it. Ultimately, it comes down to which food YOUR dog does best on.

March 12th will be here before you know it. Congrats! You must be so excited.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

Acana

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

You suggested that you fed raw in the past, and cost isn't an issue. If kibble is just a convenience compromise, maybe look into a convenient alternative diet that gets closer to what you'd prefer to feed.

The Honest Kitchen has a few formulas that are labeled as OK for puppies (it's just-add-water human-grade food) -- Thrive (chicken-quionoa-veg) is specifically one that says it's suitable for puppies. Sojo's likely has something too. ZiwiPeak's dehydrated jerky food is also labeled for puppies, I think. A ready-made commercial balanced raw diet suitable for puppies would also be an option (though a pretty pricey one).

Cost is usually the barrier for most people to these convenient alternative diets. If that's not a barrier, you have a lot of great non-kibble choices!

I think of TOTW as a solid mid-grade food, to be honest, like most of what Diamond's plant produces. It's okay. We feed a lot of Diamond-made foods in rescue because of the price/value ratio. The recall history of that plant means you have to save every lot code til it's gone. All things considered, I think there are brands with better histories and more reliable/transparent ingredient sourcing, at a higher price point.
Sabis mom and Victoriasnyder like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-09-2018 at 07:33 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:14 PM

I use Taste of the Wild for an older lab. She does well on it but I am looking for something else for a puppy.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.... Yes March 12th is almost here and I can't wait and neither can my family.
tc68 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Master Member

Victoria, congrats on your new puppy. I just put a deposit down this past weekend on a puppy too and will also be picking him up around the 10th of March. Back 10-11 years ago, when I first joined this forum, the dry food brand many were raving about then was TOTW. Now it seems to be Acana, Fromms, and Victor. I ended up feeding my previous dog...TOTW Pacific Stream with a mix of Royal Canin GSD for 10 years. He loved it and did fairly well on it. The breeder that I'm buying my puppy from this time just started the puppies on Victor. She swears by that brand. So, I'm going to stick with that since it's supposed to be one of the better rated foods anyway. I'm going to have to order from Chewy.com since the closest store that sells it is over an hour's drive away. Surprisingly, in the DC metro area, where there's a lot of dog owners, you can't find a store that sells Victor within a short drive. Anyway, I can't wait either. Just saw him this past weekend for the first time....so cute....a sable male.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Elite Member

Acana is made by a great company with a great track record. TOTW is made by a company Diamond, that has had a sketchy past and mass produces so many different brands.
voodoolamb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page