euthanasia drugs found in certain dog foods - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down euthanasia drugs found in certain dog foods

This came up in my feed and I thought of sharing. Certain dog food brands are testing for common animal euthanasia drugs... Evidence they are using euthanized animals in their food?

FDA to investigate after ABC7 exposes euthanasia drug in dog food | WJLA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Knighted Member

Thanks for sharing this!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Heartbreaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Nutro and many other brands got busted with these euthanasia drugs in their food in the 90s, and the FDA cracked down dramatically. Things had been quiet on that front and it seems like everyone kind of took their eye of the ball and forgot about that episode in the 90s....until the Evanger's mess last year. And now this Gravy Train thing. Susan at the Truth About Pet Food website has been doing very good work on this issue.

Rendered meal ingredients have been the exposure source for this every time. The rendering plants seem to sometimes adulterate the meals they sell to pet food producers -- sometimes even throwing species into the rendering pot other than those put on the food labels. People used to say chicken meal was a "good" ingredient because it meant higher meat content. I don't think so anymore.

Check out Rawz, a new meal-free kibble from a family with deep roots making high-quality food. They're using dehydrated meat instead of meat meals, to have a high meat content without the contamination risk. They also offer excellent source transparency.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Administrator

I initially glossed over this one (I don't feed Gravy Train and don't really know anyone who does) until I read the entire article a friend just sent me.

Quote:
Big Heart Brands is also the maker of Meow Mix, Milk Bone, Kibbles’n Bits, 9 Lives, Natural Balance, Pup-Peroni, Gravy Train, Nature’s Recipe, Canine Carry Outs, Milo’s Kitchen, Alley Cat, Jerky Treats, Meaty Bone, Pounce and Snausages.
Really disappointed in this. Our family's cattledog has done wonderfully on NB, after major issues with other foods. Time to change.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Master Member

Wow !... while switching to grain free... Natural Balance & Natures Recipe are two of the six brands I've tried. I would think considering what happened in the "90s AND the cost of some highly thought of dog food brands... they'd be manufacturing foods I wouldn't have to second guess....every time I put some in my dogs bowls. There sure is a very real need for a federal agency to 'police" the pet food industry --and nothing but pet food...... Thank You to the OP for this thread.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Master Member

So basically the food plants are rendering animals that have been euthanized using pentobarbital and it's making its way into the food. It violates federal law as it's not allowed to be used to euthanize any animal that's meant to be a food source but the levels aren't fatal.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Elite Member

Has anyone come across any source that clearly states if this contamination is across both canned and dry food? The few articles I've read so far seem to imply that it's only wet canned foods that have been tested. Correct me if I'm wrong in thinking this is for what ever reason a wet canned food issue at present. Not that that makes it acceptable. It is not. In the article linked it states they tested "wet" food. Has anyone come across any reports of testing of dry food for this drug?
Dry kibble is much more popular than wet food in general. Wondering why no one is testing dry food?

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:22 PM

If you think about the FDA regulations and what is legally allowed in food, it's stunning. Add to that the foods that contain known carcinogenics, and you'll shake your head.

Think about it - many pet foods start with food that was rejected for human consumption, i.e. "feed grade" (FDA’s Compliance Policy “CPG Sec. 675.100 Diversion of Contaminated Food for Animal Use” - http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceM.../ucm074693.htm) because it is contaminated with rodent, roach, or bird excreta...", Compliance Policy “CPG Sec. 675.200 Diversion of Adulterated Food to Acceptable Animal Feed Use” - http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceM.../ucm074694.htm , and Compliance Policy “CPG Sec. 690.300 Canned Pet Food” states “Pet food consisting of material from diseased animals or animals which have died otherwise than by slaughter, which is in violation of 402(a)(5) will not ordinarily be actionable, if it is not otherwise in violation of the law. It will be considered fit for animal consumption.” - http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceM.../ucm074710.htm

It's awful the FDA is so flexible with what's allowed in pet foods.

I don't *think* these people are still in business, but I saved this from their website, ""We are the pet food manufacturers list. If you have chicken, fish, beef or even vegetables that you need to sell to a petfood manufacture save yourself the trouble and give us a call." If you are looking for a list of pet food manufacturers and you found us it’s more than likely because you have a product that HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) - http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/HACCP/) deems you can’t responsibly sell it for human consumption. Why destroy the product when you can sell it to the pet food manufacturers? You can spend all day making phone calls and sending email’s to various pet food manufacturers but trust me you will never have the years of contacts we have. We turn your trouble into revenue into $. Save yourself the trouble and your companies resources and give us a call and let us know exactly what kind of product you have, what temperature it was raised up to and what you are looking to salvage out of your spoiled food product and let us handle the rest for you. We are the pet food manufacturing resource list you have been looking for. More time than often we are able to get clients like yourself more than you are asking for. We usually charge a small fee of 8% to solve your problem. Source - https://web.archive.org/web/20150905...ers_list_.html

And here's another one of my favorites: "Many manufacturing companies rely on Midwest Ingredients, Inc. to find a place in the market for their waste stream." Source: Services - Midwest Ingredients

Craig

Last edited by Craig Caughlin; 02-09-2018 at 09:37 PM.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
So basically the food plants are rendering animals that have been euthanized using pentobarbital and it's making its way into the food. It violates federal law as it's not allowed to be used to euthanize any animal that's meant to be a food source but the levels aren't fatal.
That is very concerning. There are always people like to save money, I like to think this kind of thing is very rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page