Publix Premium Dog Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By thegooseman90
  • 1 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Publix Premium Dog Food

any reviews on this? i have a 3 month old female pup and was wondering if anyone had any input. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

and does Walmart carry any healthy dog/puppy food? seems like there’s only a publix and walmart by me.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 PM
Master Member

Would you be willing to buy your food online? Good prices and good food selection and several have free shipping. If not I'd honestly just go ahead and feed raw if your only options are Walmart or publix. I mean you're already at a grocery store. Even a random mix of raw has to be better than a bag of old Roy or whatever publix has.
angelas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
Even a random mix of raw has to be better than a bag of old Roy or whatever publix has.
A "random mix of raw" is faaaaaaaaar worse than even Ol'Roy. Commercial kibble may not have the highest quality ingredients, but they at least adhere to well-researched government mandated nutritional levels and can be found with the proper calcium and phosphorus ratios for growing large breed dogs.

Nutritional deficiencies from a random mix of raw are going to kill a dog a heck of a lot faster than a low quality kibble, and especially with a growing dog. You can cripple a pup for life that way.

A properly researched and supplemented raw diet is awesome (And yes, if you are using typical grocery store meat you pretty much have to supplement to make up for certain micros that are too low in factory farmed meat). My guy has thrived on it.

OP - getting food shipped to you would be best. But if that is not a possibility maybe try looking at Pure Balance in walmart? It's an "ok" food.

Last edited by voodoolamb; 01-18-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Walmart has a "premium" brand called Pure Balance. It receives good ratings on dog food advisor:
PureBalance: 4 stars
PureBalance Grain Free: 4 stars
PureBalance Canned: 4.5 stars

Other Walmart brands:
Rachel Ray Grain Free: 4 stars
Iams Proactive Health: 3.5 stars

2 GSD's - General and Arrow
Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Blue Buffalo has been making supermarket inroads, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it show up at Publix. It's not a brand I like particularly love, but it's likely better than other options mentioned here.

Do you have a Tractor Supply Company store or other feed store nearby? TSC sells Diamond Naturals and their own 4Health line -- solid, economical mid-grade food that works for a lot of dogs. You can do a lot better, for more money, but you can also do a lot worse -- and I'd choose it before the WM food.

Some feed stores sell Victor -- a very respectable brand with offerings that span mid-range to better.
cheffjapman likes this.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepax21 View Post
any reviews on this? i have a 3 month old female pup and was wondering if anyone had any input. thanks!

To answer your Publix question. And where do you live that may help someone guide you better? We also have some good online sites like www.petflow.com that deliver

This is enough to keep away, its made by Mars, than the ingredients would keep me away as well.

Read all about mars

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/tag/mars-petcare/

Ingredients
Lamb, Chicken By-Product Meal (Source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Ground Barley, Brewers Rice, Ground Sorghum, Pork Meat and Bone Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Carrots, Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Oats, Peas, Dried Apples, Dried Cranberries, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Inulin (a Prebiotic), Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (a Preservative), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in