Beef Bones - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 2 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Beef Bones

Hey guys, are raw beef bones safe to give this 5 month teething pup?

this is more or less what i got from publix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

If it were me, I would let them eat the soft tissue and then remove them to save their teeth once they have new teeth. Marrow can give them the runs so I only gave these to teething pups in the morning to avoid nasty midnight surprises.
NerdicEclipse likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
If it were me, I would let them eat the soft tissue and then remove them to save their teeth once they have new teeth. Marrow can give them the runs so I only gave these to teething pups in the morning to avoid nasty midnight surprises.
So

A) its ok to be raw

and

B) the bone will be too hard on the puppy teeth so let him get the meaty parts and bits then freeze the bone for when he's gotten his adult teeth then let him go to town?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLla84 View Post
B) the bone will be too hard on the puppy teeth so let him get the meaty parts and bits then freeze the bone for when he's gotten his adult teeth then let him go to town?
For our dog(s) no recreational bones after they are done teething to protect their teeth from premature wearing. My 14 year old Whippet never had bad teeth and he died with all of them.
CometDog likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
For our dog(s) no recreational bones after they are done teething to protect their teeth from premature wearing. My 14 year old Whippet never had bad teeth and he died with all of them.
So now is the time to give them the bones while they still have the puppy teeth... got it... ok

probably best to give it him outside!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

Raw is fine. Lots of healthy dogs eat raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLla84 View Post
So

Throw them out when he's pulled the meaty bits off. This kind of bone is just way too hard. One of mine would gladly grind all his adult teeth down on this kind of bone if he were allowed to -- he can't be allowed to.

Better yet, put these bones in the crockpot, cover them with water and a splash of vinegar, and simmer them all day, and THEN throw them in the trash. Use the nutritious bone broth to moisten his kibble. That way they're not totally wasted.

Get him softer bones, whether he's puppy or adult, to save his teeth. Mine love frozen turkey necks.
GatorBytes and CometDog like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-16-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in