5 months and feeding amount - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eddie1976E

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

5 months and feeding amount

Hey gang,

So Ghosts quick story...

We brought him home from a shelter that apparently had him for literally 2 days. He was picked up from a family (elderly) who took him in but couldn't handle him... so not an extreme situation but lots of transition. They fed him 2 cups of Loyall Life All Stages per day.

We have had him for nearly a week now and are beginning the transition to Fromm's LPBG. Friday he weighed 37#s. He's approx 5 months.

He gets a cup at 730am, and another cup at 7pm. Should we add more food to each feeding for add a serving in the middle of the day??

Is his weight appropriate for now and maybe check on him in another 2-3 weeks to see how he's adjusting?

Thanks for your advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Elite Member

How does he look? A profile picture and an overhead picture would help. At 5 months old, my boy was getting (going off memory now) about 3-4 cups of Fromm.
NerdicEclipse likes this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
How does he look? A profile picture and an overhead picture would help. At 5 months old, my boy was getting (going off memory now) about 3-4 cups of Fromm.
This. It's hard to go off age, dimensions and weight. Need to see the dogs profile and a full body overhead shot to really say for sure. It's different for every dog. Minka wasn't a big eater and was smaller than average until she hit a year old, then it just all sprouted at once. Some pups grow more evenly over a longer period and some grow a lot right at first and slow way down for the rest of the first year and a half. But basically you feed the dog what it takes to keep the ideal body shape. If it starts to gain, you cut back. If it starts to lose weight, you add. It's different for every pup, we're not being flippant or anything.

This photo demonstrates a good rule of thumb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shape.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	473314  

Torden
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

My current 9 week old puppy gets around 1.5 cups 3x a day, so I would expect your pup to be thin with the amount he's getting, but a photo would help. I would assume that he needs to be eating more.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Well, because we're going off what the shelter told us of the "5 months" age, and his weight of 37 pounds..... he definitely looks like #3 in the graph above...

Im working with Momto2GSDs on feeding routine... I just feel like 37 pounds for a 5 month old male is lightweight... but he doesn't look skinny...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 PM

If you're following the instructions on the bag and you feel your dog is exemplified on the graph as healthy, you're doing fine. As my GSD grew, he'd go a week where he looked a little skinny and a week where he looked a little thick. Just growing.

Follow the bag and ensure he sticks around #3 on the chart and you're fine. It took me a second to understand that feeling rips and narrow hips is healthy for a GSD.

I never thought I'd own a German Shepherd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page