German Shepherds Forum banner

8 week old puppy not eating properly

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  camperbc 
#1 ·
So we are now into day 3 with our new family member who is 8w3d old. He isn't very interested in his food and will only eat about half of his daily allowance. We have tried using the same brand of food as the breeder and softening it up as she suggested. We have also tried handfeeding, not softening the food and different brands. The breeder suggested adding some meat juice to the food, but I don't want to create a dependency on this. Then again he needs to eat... Energy levels seem good. He seems relaxed around us and is very social. Potty training is going well and there is nothing wrong with the amount he is pooing! Considering taking him to the vet for a check up and some advice. Suggestions?

#4 ·
They don't know how to starve themselves and will eat before they die. Put him on a schedule and give him some time to eat and take it away. I found out my guy just wasn't hungry sometimes and skipped more than a couple of meals. He is now a healthy 82# 14 month old.

#6 ·
Our Sheba was the same way when we brought her home, for the first week or two. She was just not very interested in eating, even though we were feeding her the very same food that the breeder was. I think it just takes awhile for them to get accustomed to their new surroundings. Perfectly normal.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.