Softening puppy food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Softening puppy food

So yesterday we brought our new puppy, Lux, home. He is adapting really well so far, but I am a bit confused about feeding him. The breeder told us to soften puppy kibble in water and feed him 4 times per day. How long am I supposed to keep that up? With our last puppy he was such a nutter for food he would smash through dry kibble already at 8 weeks. This one even struggles with tiny puppy treats which of course makes training tricky. For training purposes we considered moving to cheese, but worry that he will get spoiled and not respond to lower value treats down the line. Advice appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:27 AM
Master Member

Did you ask your breeder? A good breeder will be happy to answer any questions a new owner has. They also should know their puppies and their tendencies and be able to offer better advice than people who have never met your puppy

Read up on using reinforcement correctly. It is more than just giving a treat for good behavior. Also it is your puppy who will determine which treats are high value and which aren't. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. This is a stressful time of year, so take a deep breath and just enjoy bonding with your new puppy. They are pups for a very short time.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 11:17 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is your puppy? Even if the breeder was feeding him 4 times a day, you should be able to cut that back to 3 times a day immediately. Give him the same amount per day, just divide it into fewer, larger meals instead of more, smaller meals.

Two of my dogs were eating two meals a day at 9 weeks old. But I did a lot of training with them, so they got some food between those meals. I use a lot of their kibble for treats when they're young. I saved higher value treats for when we got to the point of working outdoors around distractions, in class (also highly distracting), and for working on the recall at home.

Training treats should be very small, and preferably soft. I use pieces the size of a pea or less.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page