4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mary Beth
  • 1 Post By audrienco
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By BradyC87

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

New Picky Eater

We have a GSD puppy that we have been feeding Nutrisource LBP since we got him from the breeder in October. He is just shy of 4 months now. He was eating fine until last week he picked up a digestive issue for a few days, Vet thought it was Collitis. It went away just fine but after being on canned prescription food for 3 days he is now a food snob. We have tried mixing his dry food with a can of food from the same brand but he just eats the wet food and leaves the dry. We also tried drizzling a bit of organic chicken broth on his dry food but he still refuses to eat it.

We are now going to try picking up a different type of food to mix with his old food at least until it is gone since of course I just bought a 40 lb bag of it right before he quit eating it. I had noticed a lot of people on here either stop using the puppy specific food very early or do not use it at all. Would that be suggested at 4 months or should we wait a bit yet?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

It could be your puppy is teething so just wants to eat something soft. To get him to eat the kibble, try to make a gravy of the canned food using warm water and broth and mix it up in the kibble so that the kibble is mushy. If that doesn't work, feed the canned food for say the next 1-2 months until all his teeth are in, and then slowly add kibble. For your second question, I think 4 months is a little young to switch to adult but I've also read those posts, so that is up to you. There are also kibbles that are All Life Stages. What I am feeding my puppy, is half Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy and half Solid Gold Barking at the Moon (an all life stages food) since his stools were soft on all TOTW. He does well on this mixture. So there are other options to consider.
BradyC87 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Old 12-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Normally I'd say "if they're hungry, they'll eat", but since he is still a puppy - their meals are very important at this age. I agree with the previous post - Mix more and more of the kibble with warm water to soften it up over time ... I know it's a pain and time consuming at every feeding time - my 2 year old female GSD is not food driven and a VERY picky eater... it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I've finally gotten her to eat on a regular schedule without "turning her nose up" to the meal. With that being said, we finally settled with 2 cups of dry and mixed with wet.

Good Luck!
BradyC87 likes this.

R.I.P. Audrie (my soul mate) 10/01/08 - 11/15/17

Serena 01/24/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 PM

Another gravy to try is boiled eggs mashed into warm water.Or a couple of teaspoons of salmon oil.Sometimes it's all about the yucky smell
BradyC87 likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I picked up some of the Fromm LBP dry food last night and tried a mix of 1/3 Fromms with 2/3 his normal Nutrisource and he ate that like normal so we will see how that goes. He is definitely teething as he lost two teeth the day before yesterday so we are adding water whenever he hesitates to eat.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Mary Beth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in