Puppy Not Eating Breakfast - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Not Eating Breakfast

Hi all, new to the forum here. I have a very active 9 month old Female who recently has lost all interest in breakfast. She’s acting completely normal in all other aspects and appears to be in good health. She was having loose stool on taste of the wild (which she ate without issue) so we switched her food to Orijen which she didn’t seem to like so we hen switched to Acana. She is now on her second flavor of Acana and her stool is good but is still not eating breakfast. She does however eat dinner. Is it possible she doesn’t like the food and is just starving by dinner time so she eats it then or is she just being really picky? If anyone has experienced this any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:25 PM

I think Scarlet did the same thing. She would eat if I fed her just a little bit later in the morning or at noon, and then dinner in the early evening. She just stopped eating if it was early in the morning. Who knows what goes on in their heads!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Knighted Member

My puppy was growing fast until about 9 months, the slowed considerably. So at 6-7 months she was eating 7+ cups if kibble per day. At 9 months that went down to 3 cups, and now at almost 12 months she's getting 2.5 cups.

Might you be feeding to large a portion at each meal? Judge the proper amount by the dog you're feeding. If you can't easily make out the first couple of ribs when she's standing broadside to you, she's eating too much. Also, when viewing her from above and behind you should see a distinct taper just before the hips.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:42 PM

My almost 2 yr old very active GSD female didn't really like eating breakfast and/or dinner either around that age. To be honest... I even battle with it occasionally today. When she was a PUPPY - she LOVED feeding time. But as she grew around 8+ months, her interested in eating vs other things (ie: following us around, playing with the toy, etc.) became difficult for me to determine if she was sick, not enjoying the food, or just being stubborn. She has always maintained a good weight per the vet and showed no signs of illness.

In my experience, she (GSD) is not very food driven unlike my mixed rescue. She's not interested in treats from me/"strangers" when out in public or at training. I've experimented with 3-4 different brands over the 2 years with her and it hasn't been until the last few weeks that shes starting to get into a normal eating schedule. I've stuck her on a diet now that consists of 2 tablespoons of wet food and 2 cups of dry food mixed (1 x AM and 1x PM serving). I do know that she prefers the mix of wet to dry to entice her.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok great thank you for all the replies. It’s good to know she isn’t the only shepherd out there not eating breakfast. We were feeding her 2 cups, 2x a day until she stopped eating breakfast. Now she doesn’t eat breakfast at all but will eat about a cup around 1pm and then eat her 2 cups at around 6. She is 50lbs at 9 months which seems kind of small to me but the vet insists she’s healthy and looking good. As long as she’s healthy I guess it’s not too much of a big deal. Thanks again everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page