Quick Puppy Food Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quick Puppy Food Question

Quick question!

Sitka is 10 months old. Do I splurge on the expensive Royal Canine large breed developmental kibble for $110CDN/14kg, which should last him until he's 1 year old, or should I switch him to adult food now?

I'm looking to find something a little cheaper but still high quality, and preferably available outside of the vet's office.

Thanks guys!

"For creatures of the wild: those who ride, grow, protect, challenge, forage, and create.
For anyone inspired by owning as little as possible.
And for anyone who's touched ocean floor or mountain air and liked it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Master Member

I feed raw and dry dog food. I feed pre-made raw at night and Orijen Regional Red all life stages in the morning 95.99/USD 25lb My pup is 10 months old. HTH
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 PM

I feed Acana adult kibble (various flavors - currently the Wild Atlantic) for around 70.00 USD/28lb bag. My boy just hit a year old, though I have been feeding it since he was around 10 months now. Before that he was on Orijen.

There are much better (and cheaper) options than Royal Canin. Would not recommend their food, especially at that price point.

Rocket (pomeranian) - 01/2002 - 03/2016
Hircine vom HausReid "Sawyer" (GSD) - 11/24/16

-Alyssa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:26 PM

I was curious about this as well.

I've heard there needs to be a certain calcium-to-phosphate ratio.

I currently feed Diamond Naturals, but I'm not pleased with it. My pup is almost nine months old and has chronic pano.

We've also tried Stella & Chewy Raw Coated Kibble, 4 Health, and Taste of the Wild.

I used to feed exclusively raw and would love to get back to it, but I lost access to my budget meat vendor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

Definitely NO high quality ingredients here!

Royal Canin Canine Development Puppy Large Dog dry dog food
Chicken by-product meal (leftovers after meat removal from chicken frame for human food chain or USDA rejected meat or worse!), corn, wheat gluten,(allergin to many dogs, can contain sub quality grains that contain aflatoxins), brewers rice, barley, wheat, brown rice (see above), chicken fat, natural flavors, dried plain beet pulp, sodium silico aluminate, vegetable oil (What vegetables?), fish oil (WHAT fish? UN-Named source!), powdered cellulose (sawdust), calcium carbonate, potassium phosphate, psyllium seed husk, salt, fructooligosaccharides, potassium chloride, taurine, hydrolyzed yeast, choline chloride, L-lysine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], glucosamine hydrochloride, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Good choices would be:
* Acana &/or Orijen (both made by Champion) which is manufactured in Canada. Orijen is too rich for "Some" dogs so watch for loose stools or diarrhea.

* Open Farm is in Ontario and they manufacture foods with traceable ingredients: "we provide detailed information on every ingredient we use in our recipes"
~ We use human grade meats that are raised naturally on a vegetarian diet without any antibiotics or growth hormones
~ Our recipes are centered on high levels of fresh meat – we never use any synthetic or processed vegetable protein substitutes
~ Our fish is always ocean caught, never farmed, and seasonally sourced from Seafood Watch and Ocean Wise approved fisheries
https://www.openfarmpet.com/dog-food-recipes
https://www.openfarmpet.com/store-locator

If your dog does not have a sensitive gut, I would suggest rotating thru the flavors/proteins of which ever food you choose.

When switching, always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page