Looking for Recs for Dry Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Looking for Recs for Dry Food

Hi everyone,

We were transitioning our 18 wk old GSD to Fromm Large Breed Puppy from TOTW Puppy. Now that we are getting to where Frommís is 75% of the mix, he is refusing to eat it. He sniffs the bowl and turns his nose up. Iíve seen a few people say that their dogs didnít like it much either. Itís fine that he doesnít like it, we have enough of the old to keep him going and transition to a different brand so we are starting to hunt for a different food again as I want to get away from TOWT and itís ties with Diamond.
We are looking for recommendations for a new food for our pup. Where we live we are really limited to only ďgrocery store levelĒ dog foods so I will have to order it in. Iíve been browsing the boards but would like some recommendations so I can start to research more brands.
My head is spinning with trying to keep certain foods straight with what their ingredients are, the calcium and phosphorus ratio, sourcing, how much to feed, calorie content, etc.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:37 PM
Administrator

I fed this to my last puppy when she was young, and had zero complaints. You can order it through Chewy -

https://www.chewy.com/holistic-selec...ealth/dp/37765

Holistic Select Adult & Puppy Health Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine Grain-Free Dry Dog Food

Quote:
CRUDE PROTEIN 29.0% min
CRUDE FAT 14.0% min
CRUDE FIBER 5.5% max
MOISTURE 10.0% max
DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID (DHA 0.1% min
CALCIUM 1.7% min
PHOSPHORUS 1.2% min
Quote:
Salmon, Anchovy and Sardine Meal, Potatoes, Peas, Menhaden Fish Meal, Dried Ground Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Molasses Beet Pulp, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed, Pumpkin, Natural Flavor, Cranberries, Apples, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Papayas, Choline Chloride, Blueberries, Pomegranates, Vitamin E Supplement, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ground Cinnamon, Ground Fennel, Ground Peppermint, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus thermophilus Fermentation Product, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Product, Dried Rhizopus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Master Member

Fromm is an excellent food, you could try the grain free version of the Fromm LBP food, or pretty much any of their other grain free foods from the 4 Star Line ... they are all All Life Stages and pretty much all are perfectly fine for a large breed puppy (calcium/phosphorous levels fine pretty much across the board).

Other foods I'd look at are Orijen/Acana, Victor, Dr. Tim's, and Annamaet.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

What's your monthly budget for food? That really is what will drive the answer. If you can afford to take the dog onto The Honest Kitchen, Dr. Harveys, Ziwi, commercial raw or the like, that would be great -- but not everyone can afford to do that.

From your handle, I'm going to guess you are in Texas? If so Victor is made there, so it's likely to be very fresh buying it close to the source.

There's also a Texas brand sold mostly in the DFW area (and some Texas Costco stores) called Zach's Quality Dog food. It's made in the Great Life (Pied Piper) plant in Texas and is a heck of a deal if you can find it -- Costco sells it for less than Kirkland ($26 or so for a 40#) for a chicken-and-rice bag that rates 4* on Dog Food Advisor. It looks like a generic food in a plain green bag -- so you'd walk by it without even realizing what it is, as they put almost nothing into making the packaging pretty to maximize spending on what goes into the bag. If you call them, the owner will call you to answer questions. I *think* they have a puppy food (though not sold by Costco), and they home-deliver to local customers in some parts of Texas.

With Fromm, I feed the Four Star line on rotation, and there's a real difference in enthusiasm in my crew over some of the flavors. The Hasenduckenpfeffer is a big favorite here. So even if yours doesn't love the Fromm Gold food, it might like one of the others.

Last edited by Magwart; 11-29-2017 at 04:35 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:47 PM

I too would try the Fromm Heartland Gold Large Breed (grain-free), might be more appetizing than just the regular Large Breed variety.

We feed a mixture of 66% Fromm Heartland Gold Large Breed Adult (grain-free) and 33% Orijen Six Fish with salmon oil, coconut oil, and fresh chopped blueberries and carrots added. Our GSD wolfs this down, but she's also not a picky eater. We originally tried 100% Orijen Six Fish, but her stool was too loose. She also gets a quarter can of Ziwipeak Tripe & Lamb canned wet food mixed in her morning meal; you could try a topper like Ziwipeak air-dried tripe & lamb to make it more appetizing.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 PM

i feed my dogs either a raw diet, or drs foster and smith foods. i prefer raw diet but when i can't do that this food is what i like for a puppy.

Dog Food: Dry Puppy Food from Drs. Foster and Smith
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
What's your monthly budget for food? That really is what will drive the answer. If you can afford to take the dog onto The Honest Kitchen, Dr. Harveys, Ziwi, commercial raw or the like, that would be great -- but not everyone can afford to do that.

From your handle, I'm going to guess you are in Texas? If so Victor is made there, so it's likely to be very fresh buying it close to the source.

There's also a Texas brand sold mostly in the DFW area (and some Texas Costco stores) called Zach's Quality Dog food. It's made in the Great Life (Pied Piper) plant in Texas and is a heck of a deal if you can find it -- Costco sells it for less than Kirkland ($26 or so for a 40#) for a chicken-and-rice bag that rates 4* on Dog Food Advisor. It looks like a generic food in a plain green bag -- so you'd walk by it without even realizing what it is, as they put almost nothing into making the packaging pretty to maximize spending on what goes into the bag. If you call them, the owner will call you to answer questions. I *think* they have a puppy food (though not sold by Costco), and they home-deliver to local customers in some parts of Texas.

With Fromm, I feed the Four Star line on rotation, and there's a real difference in enthusiasm in my crew over some of the flavors. The Hasenduckenpfeffer is a big favorite here. So even if yours doesn't love the Fromm Gold food, it might like one of the others.
I actually live in KS. Our nearest Costco is several hours away I think I found Zach's online via their website but its only sold in 50lb bags. I like to try smaller bags when testing a food to make sure he likes it and we aren't out more $$. We'd (my boyfriend and I) really like to keep dog food under/around $60/mo. I'm only working part-time right now as I am working on my masters'. It has helped tremedously when training, bonding, and house training Ghost but not so much in the cash department lol. We also have two spoiled Siamese cats that think they need to be fed too
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

They *might* send you some sample packets--the owner is extremely responsive to customer inquiries by email, so there's no harm in asking. I know he has them, as he sent me a box for the rescue when Costco was selling it locally (they stopped selling it at my Costco, unfortunately).

Otherwise, of the brands mentioned here so far, Victor has the lowest price point. Their entry level foods are around $40 to $45 for 40#. Victor also has higher end foods that go up in price. Sometimes feed stores stock it, so look at places like that if you have any nearby.
lonestarghost likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 11-29-2017 at 07:22 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 PM

We feed our dogs Fromm and Annamaet and love both brands. I think Annamaet is slightly less expensive? Our picky eater likes the Fromm with a handful of crumbled Primal freeze-dried raw nuggets mixed in, with salmon oil and blueberries; or drizzled with The Honest Kitchen bone broth mixed with water. The toppers work wonders
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:50 PM

Iíve always been happy with Fromm. I donít have a GSD (yet...) but Iíve always been pleased with how my Great Dane looks on it. Heís had both the Gold and the Large Breed. I will note that he didnít care for the large breed formula, but heís an incredibly picky eater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page